Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I'm having trouble with the idea that 4 hikers couldn't manage to deal with 1 older cyclist without resorting to a knife. Is he a retiring MMA fighter? No injuries on the guy who had the knife out? Not even a black eye?
We're all assuming here.
I can take 4 old people and a cougar.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shark

·
since 4/10/2009
31,492 Posts
Agreed 100%. The line starts to get blurred if...IF you're attacked unprovoked and the guy won't stop.

I'm not convinced that the mt biker actually attacked anyone, unless you want to consider riding through the hikers to be an attack. Got tangled up and went down? sure. trapped in his clipless pedals after he went down? I'd totally buy that. I'm also not sure that I buy the hiker's line that they were moving out of the way as fast as they could. if that was true, some simple communication about that fact could have prevented ANY issues. I think best case is that the hikers were slow walking out of the way. entirely possible that they were puffing themselves up to try to force the rider to stop.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I'm not convinced that the mt biker actually attacked anyone, unless you want to consider riding through the hikers to be an attack. Got tangled up and went down? sure. trapped in his clipless pedals after he went down? I'd totally buy that. I'm also not sure that I buy the hiker's line that they were moving out of the way as fast as they could. if that was true, some simple communication about that fact could have prevented ANY issues.
Could be. The stabbing part is perplexing in that scenario though.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
And totally agree about assumptions. I was just pointing out that neither side of this story reads well at face value.
I agree, and we try to read between the lines to make sense of it. Hence those 2 parts standing out to me.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,492 Posts
Could be. The stabbing part is perplexing in that scenario though.

so why did that hiker have that particular knife on him? that sort of knife isn't a tool. it's a weapon. I have a feeling that the hiker lost his **** and panicked.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
A pocket knife?

Other than that, I haven't seen a mention of any others. FWIW, I carry an auto-opening knife. They're legal here, and I carry it for single-handed use. Which is highly useful in the wild.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,398 Posts
I suspect we've all struggled to get untangled from our bikes in the past. I'm just trying to picture some dude grabbing the bars and both of us getting stuck underneath the bike with me on top. Then trying to extract myself from the bike while clipped in with an upset hiker pinned underneath me.

I can imagine a lot of confusion on everyone's part.

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
I don't know if there is clear one sided fault, but I'd bet my last dollar that hiker's description is leaving out pertinent details. Reads like sanitized BS. Odds are both sides escalated things but stabbing someone is extremely serious and you better have a plausible & justifiable self-defense angle not just mutual combat.

edit: just googlated the hiker. he's actually a somewhat well known luthier. crazy.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My cousin has a good friend on the Bellingham PD and inside word is that the biker gave the hiker the stink eye. So pretty much, this is justified.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The switchblade angle is interesting to me. I wonder if the stabber's knife is one of those widely available assisted-opening knives like the Kershaw Speedsafe stuff, rather than a true switchblade.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
The switchblade angle is interesting to me. I wonder if the stabber's knife is one of those widely available assisted-opening knives like the Kershaw Speedsafe stuff, rather than a true switchblade.
Are auto-openers legal in WA? They are in AZ.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
One of my other hobbies in the past has been knives (kitchen, and camping mostly, but also some pocket knives). So I wondered about the knife as well.

The terminology about the knife was kind of vague. They did call it a "spring knife". But that can mean lots of things (both what people perceive them to be called, and what the legal terms mean).

From a "users perception standpoint" it can mean knives using mechanisms like the one in the Kershaw "Speedsafe" system. But legally (again, afaik/remember), they aren't considered a "spring" knife, as they use a torsion bar, and not a spring. They open the blade in the same way normal folding knife does (folding out and open), and are activated in the same manner as a folding knife. And AFAIK, those are legal almost everywhere in the US, including in Washington state (at least they are sold in the walmarts here last I checked/noticed).

"Switchblades" are illegal in many places, and use a button and a spring, and usually pop the blade straight out of the end of the handle, which is usually considered more dangerous (and why they are illegal). And according to WA state law, a "spring knife" is illegal at the state level, so they are illegal here.

But I wouldn't put it past a PO to call a speedsafe knife a "spring knife" and use it as a basis for arrest, especially if the knife was used in a stabbing.

Clear as mud right?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
When I bike, I always ask if it's ok to pass, never assuming hiker will get out of my way. I'll ask early and stop if needed to give them time . When I hike, I expect the same. If I hear "On your left" or "Bike", I'll just stand there and give a look that says "Did I hear a please?". The presumption of many riders that hikers are expected to jump out of their way is not acceptable.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,223 Posts
sorry but biker was wrong. bikes YIELD to foot traffic and horse traffic, period.

of course stabbing is wrong, but the biker here was a D*K

I just went to the stabbers web site and it doesn't say anything about his tendency to get stabby.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
EDIT: This whole situation: Beta male pissing contest.

A complete unraveling of trail etiquette turned lizard brain. Local multi-use trails typically have signage that basically puts bikes at the bottom of the pecking order in terms of ROW.

I struggle when people get so worked up and entitled in multi-use outdoor spaces and are completely ignorant to LNT and trail etiquette. It's there for everyone, know the rules and abide by them. I do not condone the stabbing, but the biker choosing to get tangled up with foot traffic when denied space and access to pass is completely on him. He would have also known the hikers were uncooperative had he tactfully engaged in a verbal exchange with them earlier.

21 - 40 of 305 Posts