Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

241 - 260 of 305 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,039 Posts
Thanks for sharing DJ. I always groove on a bear sighting. Amongst my favorite creatures to observe. Grateful for the privilege of seeing a massive critter go about its business - the confidence & curiosity.

Really tuned to their scent. I know it's weird but they leave so much scat in my yard that I'm like a PI inspecting what the current food sources are.
Berries, lol!
Last summer one was visiting the easement on the other side of my backyard fence. I never saw it but I sure saw remnants from it being there from the night before in the form of skat piles.

·
38,039 Posts
With your outdoors experience, do you have tips about reading the body language of hikers? 😀
I do, I’m in the process of writing a book so most of it is confidential right now. In due time the public will know how to read body language and avoid such trail interactions, if you buy the book that is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NIMB YNUT

Crazy Mary (as she is known in the community) was walking east on fire road on a sunny, 65 degree October morning, and blocked the road with arms akimbo facing us. My buddy was about 15 yards ahead of me on the left side of the road. She grabs his handlebars as he attempts to pass to her right and stops him. She tries to pull Russ’ rear fender off as he tries to pass her. Then she releases Russ and grabs my handlebars while I try to pass on her left and pushes me. I fell to the ground off the fire road to my right. Turning back to Russ, she begins to push him.

When I stood up, she pushed me hard four times to the point where I nearly fall backward into a three foot deep stream bed. Crazy Mary started to shout at me that she would bring her Rottweiler out to attack me. As I tried to remount my bike and leave, she punched me on the right side of my jaw and kicked me in the groin.

It was then that I realized that she liked my buddy better than me. Finally, I was able to escape.

I filed a police report with the County police. When I saw the report, I can decide whether to press charges for assault, which is how the receiving officer characterized the incident. What would you do?

A couple of months later, Crazy Mary and her pay lawyer were called up before the bench. The Judge then called us up as well, and asked all three defendants (she had filed a cross complaint a month after my complaint) whether they wanted to withdraw their complaints. We all said ‘yes’ and he asked us the same question again. The Judge then said that all charges were dismissed.

He then said to Crazy Mary that in the future if she saw people riding bikes in the woods, she should call the authorities and not take the law into her own hands. My buddy and I left and had a cold beer at his house.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I do, I’m in the process of writing a book so most of it is confidential right now. In due time the public will know how to read body language and avoid such trail interactions, if you buy the book that is.
You need to fast track this book. It could save mtbr’s from getting stabbed

·
Registered
451 Posts
You flamed the guy who lives in bear country on his opinion and I quote:

you've seen 1 black bear, dude. get a grip. There's a thing: an overreaction to a perceived threat.... common by people without much experience. If we have some concerns about salamanders or snapping turtles, we'll ask you mr florida.
I flamed him? Are you fucking high man? Want to talk about overreactions....

I love how you assume **** based on me living in Florida, meanwhile you know really don't know anything. 🤷‍♂️ Basically all because I said I sometimes carry a handgun when I ride alone and listed a few reasons why, not just because of bears. And I love your quip about snapping turtle and salamanders. Your ignorance reminds me of people that come to Florida and decide to go swimming in a lake only to get attacked by a gator. You do you, Mr. Bear Whisperer.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
NIMB YNUT

Crazy Mary (as she is known in the community) was walking east on fire road on a sunny, 65 degree October morning, and blocked the road with arms akimbo facing us. My buddy was about 15 yards ahead of me on the left side of the road. She grabs his handlebars as he attempts to pass to her right and stops him. She tries to pull Russ’ rear fender off as he tries to pass her. Then she releases Russ and grabs my handlebars while I try to pass on her left and pushes me. I fell to the ground off the fire road to my right. Turning back to Russ, she begins to push him.

When I stood up, she pushed me hard four times to the point where I nearly fall backward into a three foot deep stream bed. Crazy Mary started to shout at me that she would bring her Rottweiler out to attack me. As I tried to remount my bike and leave, she punched me on the right side of my jaw and kicked me in the groin.

It was then that I realized that she liked my buddy better than me. Finally, I was able to escape.

I filed a police report with the County police. When I saw the report, I can decide whether to press charges for assault, which is how the receiving officer characterized the incident. What would you do?

A couple of months later, Crazy Mary and her pay lawyer were called up before the bench. The Judge then called us up as well, and asked all three defendants (she had filed a cross complaint a month after my complaint) whether they wanted to withdraw their complaints. We all said ‘yes’ and he asked us the same question again. The Judge then said that all charges were dismissed.

He then said to Crazy Mary that in the future if she saw people riding bikes in the woods, she should call the authorities and not take the law into her own hands. My buddy and I left and had a cold beer at his house.
Not a chance in hell would I have withdrew my complaint. You went through all the steps and we're in front of the judge. Now she'll do it again to some poor other souls.
Also, if someone punches me, woman or otherwise, all bets are off.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,007 Posts
I flamed him? Are you fucking high man? Want to talk about overreactions....

I love how you assume **** based on me living in Florida, meanwhile you know really don't know anything. 🤷‍♂️ Basically all because I said I sometimes carry a handgun when I ride alone and listed a few reasons why, not just because of bears. And I love your quip about snapping turtle and salamanders. Your ignorance reminds me of people that come to Florida and decide to go swimming in a lake only to get attacked by a gator. You do you, Mr. Bear Whisperer.
That does not seem chill...

KIDDING.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yup and because you say stupid sh1t. Mostly the former.
:rolleyes: More like I said something you didn't agree with (sometimes carrying a gun while I'm out riding alone) and you started talking **** claiming I "flamed" your buddy. But whatever, yeah I'm the one who say's stupid ****. Just going to drop it, we'll never see eye to eye and I'm perfectly fine with that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not a chance in hell would I have withdrew my complaint. You went through all the steps and we're in front of the judge. Now she'll do it again to some poor other souls.
Also, if someone punches me, woman or otherwise, all bets are off.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
You are right. That was my opinion before the long legal process. However, no one in the legal system thought the case was worthy of prosecution.

It has been three and a half years, now. She hasn't done it again. In fact she avoids me, consistent with the Judge's instructions, and averts her eyes on the few occasions that I have seen her on the trails. It make me laugh.
Crazy Mary @ FH Screenshot_20171108-182625.png

Her key ally and trail vandal has moved away and another, more intemperate, hater had a coronary event, the day after he engaged with a MTB and sadly, passed on. The trails are better than ever and the new pandemic users tend to be more cheerful than the Mike Vandemans of our world. Just ride, aight?

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
best take-away: people in Florida think it's 'outsiders' doing stupid shi1t in their state. Don't dare change FL, you got this.

·
38,039 Posts
You need to fast track this book. It could save mtbr’s from getting stabbed
It would have already been out end of June last year but the pandemic has slowed the production down to a snail pace. There’s been times this past year I’ve thought about throwing in the towel but with this latest stabbing incident I see I have a moral obligation to follow through with it. Fingers crossed of course.

My priorities have changed, I’m not looking for any financial gain on this now.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It would have already been out end of June last year but the pandemic has slowed the production down to a snail pace. There’s been times this past year I’ve thought about throwing in the towel but with this latest stabbing incident I see I have a moral obligation to follow through with it. Fingers crossed of course.

My priorities have changed, I’m not looking for any financial gain on this now.
Getting a book published is a daunting task. So many hoops to jump through, Good luck

·
Registered
451 Posts
best take-away: people in Florida think it's 'outsiders' doing stupid shi1t in their state. Don't dare change FL, you got this.
:rolleyes: Yeah man, because that's exactly what I said or alluded to. Just more nonsense...

·
jcd's best friend
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
We go from stabbings to bears. This thread is really fun right now :poop:

·
38,039 Posts
We go from stabbings to bears. This thread is really fun right now :poop:
Fight a bear and stab it with a pocket knife and we'll be full circle.

241 - 260 of 305 Posts