Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
uploadfromtaptalk1395018961669.jpg

After seeing this on FB...wouldn't it be sweet to ride in weaker gravity? I can only imagine how awesome that would be!

It would pretty badass to tour or race on Mars if there was atmosphere and good temps!

One can only dream...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jupiter would completely suck lol...

G

·
Weaker gravity would only lead to weaker riders and earlier onset of heart disease. Embrace the pain of our planets gravity, some days it's your only friend.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Pot has only been legal in CO for a month and we already have a "race on other planets" thread.

I guess you'd better be running tubeless on Jupiter.

And on the moon I would guess you'd wash out a lot…there's not enough weight on the tires to stay hooked up. Although you could probably get away with some nasty jumps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Weaker gravity would only lead to weaker riders and earlier onset of heart disease. Embrace the pain of our planets gravity, some days it's your only friend.
Good point…I'd train on Jupiter, then race on the other planets. Kind of like runners training in Colorado and racing at sea level. I would the inter-planetary king of low gravity mountain bike racing…at least until someone figured out my system.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not talking all of the races... just if u had one like that in a season. Or if u could just ride it ever once in a while.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point…I'd train on Jupiter, then race on the other planets. Kind of like runners training in Colorado and racing at sea level. I would the inter-planetary king of low gravity mountain bike racing…at least until someone figured out my system.
The low gravity is what would make the race interesting... It would be a part of the race, something you would have to adapt/stratagize to.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,765 Posts
What kind of post ride beer is available on other planets? If none, then I am staying put!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
cant ride on jupiter theres no solid surface!

mars looks to have some sick terrain. Red planet rampage!

G

·
cant ride on jupiter theres no solid surface!

mars looks to have some sick terrain. Red planet rampage!
So the issue is really traction. Eventually you'd reach a point of equilibrium and float (more or less). Getting traction on dense gas would be a problem, plus your Stan's would freeze and you'd be crushed by the atmosphere. But I think it's important to take on the issues in order of competitive edge rather than focusing on the objection points (like being crushed to death).:)

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Gorn

Keep in mind, any mtb race on another planet may include a one on one battle with this guy, just before the finish line.
Look out!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Pretty close to zero wind resistance on Mars too, and actually zero on the moon. That could be as big of factor as gravity.

Modern Mars spacesuits don't look too restrictive, either.

Dainese, heh.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,122 Posts
I don't know how you guys crash, but you know how things seem to slow down when you botch the take-off? And then you're just waiting for the ground to meet you?
Crashing on Mars would take soooo long. My heart would stop before impact (which hopefully would restart it). I hope they have soft dirt there.

The Olympus Mons DH course would be other-worldly.

-F

G

·
Pretty close to zero wind resistance on Mars too, and actually zero on the moon. That could be as big of factor as gravity.

Modern Mars spacesuits don't look too restrictive, either.

Dainese, heh.
Based on my extensive knowledge of space travel from Star Trek and MIB, I think the girl on the left is more appropriately dressed for travel to "M" class planets. As an aside, unless a thread starts in the middle of left field, how many posts (on average) until the thread digresses into irrelivancy? Just looking for a consensus of opinion, not actual science.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts