Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ZombieFood
109 Posts
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would feel bad if he got busted for personal use amounts of coke.

But 23lbs of cocaine? little more than causal. He wasn't ruining his own life, he was part of f-ing up others lives. Screw him. Let him rot, I dont care if he cured cancer.

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
usmcruz said:
i hope this guy spends A LOT of time in prison, people like this give my sport a bad name, not to mention how much they **** up society. i feel no pity for him, and only wish the judge will be more harsh.
I am sure the judge would find more important cases to think about.

That's ok that you don't feel any pity, but what is being achieved by sentencing him? What good will it do? Nothing will be achieved by this sentencing.

There will be A LOT lost though: load on the judicial and prison systems, messing up his life, messing up his neighbors' and friends' lives. Considering that he has been a more-than-average citizen, the average "goodness" of the society will likely drop too.

So unfortunately there is no point in asking for jail time for him. It would be a loss...

Ali

·
Registered
172 Posts
pisket said:
I am sure the judge would find more important cases to think about.

That's ok that you don't feel any pity, but what is being achieved by sentencing him? What good will it do? Nothing will be achieved by this sentencing.

There will be A LOT lost though: load on the judicial and prison systems, messing up his life, messing up his neighbors' and friends' lives. Considering that he has been a more-than-average citizen, the average "goodness" of the society will likely drop too.

So unfortunately there is no point in asking for jail time for him. It would be a loss...

Ali
Oh wow. I agree that punishing him now is just going to penalize society (provided he is not still running drugs), but not punishing a criminal because it would be "messing up his life" is HILARIOUS.

Judge: "I sentence you to 10 years in prison"

Criminal: "Oh come on man, that is going to be such a pain in the a** for me....I mean I got stuff I want to do....I have a nice little vacation planned to Columbia next month. That sentence just really doesn't mesh well with my plans.

Oh, and I also have issue with him being a "more-than-average citizen". That is a very bold statement. This guy was BIG in the cocaine scene. Don't think that the 23 lbs was his only "contribution". You just don't find/get 23 lbs. You have to start peddling smaller amounts and gradually build up to 23 lbs. Again, possible that he is no longer in the drug distribution scene, but he is HARDLY a "more-than-average citizen". If this really true by your standards I shudder to think about who you have met in life. If the day ever comes where I believe a man distributing pounds and pounds of cocaine is above average.....hell I am not sure what I would do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
pisket said:
I read the stories about his better years and how people where he lived thought so.

About messing up his life: I still see it as a life I guess... :/

Ali
I don't question that he hasn't done many great things in his life, but I don't think that forgive any trespasses you have made on society. Admittedly, many criminals have done good things in their lives. Most criminals do not live a life that ONLY victimizes society. However, I find it hard to believe that someone that has injected (pardon the pun) so much negativity into society could possibly do enough good to make him a "more-than-average citizen." I mean are you forgetting about the "average" person in society. They may not be leading efforts to combat cancer, feed the poor, or save the environment, but I think the average person is much more moral and beneficial to society as a whole than someone who intentionally harms ALL of society through introducing cocaine (and yes EVERYONE is negatively effected by cocaine use....it is a trickle down effect).

As far as messing up his life: I am not condoning killing this guy, but I WOULD condone putting him to work to payback the society that he has harmed and eliminating the luxuries and privileges that law-abiding citizens enjoy.

·
one less car
523 Posts
ZombieFood said:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would feel bad if he got busted for personal use amounts of coke.

But 23lbs of cocaine? little more than causal. He wasn't ruining his own life, he was part of f-ing up others lives. Screw him. Let him rot, I dont care if he cured cancer.
QFT:mad:

·
Registered
172 Posts
hilltoprider said:
"Admittedly, many criminals have done good things in their lives. Most criminals do not live a life that ONLY victimizes society."

do you know what you are saying here?All of us are criminals when we get caught.
Yes. I am saying that many criminals do many significantly positive things for society. However, I don't believe the positives necessarily get to cancel the negatives (which is why we do not let rich people buy their ways out of prison sentences by donating millions to charities.....or should we?).

Also, yes I think I understand what you mean when you say "all of us are criminals when we get caught." However, not "all of us" are committing felonies and not "all of us" are doing things in our lives that improve society (i.e. people that do nothing more than manipulate others for their own benefit.....I was contending that not ALL criminals/felons fall into this group. Many were and are positively contributing to society. Which is why it makes sense to only punish them for their transgressions and not put them to death. Not punishing people for their transgressions only perpetuates the notion that consequences for crimes are not "certain"--which is essential for any consequence to be an effective deterrent for those considering breaking the law).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
stanley tookie switched his life up and even earned a nobel prize for writing childrens books while in prison, didn't stop him from getting the death penalty.

RIP
Wow...so writing kids books makes it o.k. to be a murderous thug. Hmmm...that's convenient. Yes he supposedly changed his ways, but that doesn't mean the things he was responsible for never happened. Still gotta pay the piper...

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
stanley tookie switched his life up and even earned a nobel prize for writing childrens books while in prison, didn't stop him from getting the death penalty.

RIP

Oh, gee. Yeah let's idolize a murderer because later in life he decided he wanted to be a nice guy. **** him.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Its very easy to be judgemental towards other people but unless you are in their shoes living their life you cannot possibly comment.People who point the finger about others and the bad things they do should be very grateful that they have had parents who maybe care about an education and an education in life aswell.How many people who get into crime from an early age have been loved and cared for as children.Not many and they just waste away in jail or die young.Easy to be critical when your completely ignorant.Rant over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.