Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I got into MTB'n a few years ago, and I have came to love this forum. I am a mechanical engineer currently working in the auto industry, but I would really love to design or do R&D type work for a bike company! Does anyone know of any mountain bike manufactures in the Detroit area?? Or even any companies in the area that make bike components?? I have a 2 year old daughter so moving out of the area is out of the question. I have searched the internet but not been able to find anything that really interests me. I have found a couple of small bike companies based out of Detroit, but they are mainly focused on the street cruiser style, which I have never really been into.

Any help/advice/enlightenment is greatly appreciated!

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I got into MTB'n a few years ago, and I have came to love this forum. I am a mechanical engineer currently working in the auto industry, but I would really love to design or do R&D type work for a bike company! Does anyone know of any mountain bike manufactures in the Detroit area?? Or even any companies in the area that make bike components?? I have a 2 year old daughter so moving out of the area is out of the question. I have searched the internet but not been able to find anything that really interests me. I have found a couple of small bike companies based out of Detroit, but they are mainly focused on the street cruiser style, which I have never really been into.

Any help/advice/enlightenment is greatly appreciated!
Isn't detriot almost dead? my advice would be moving out of there asap. when the kids are still young.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha well I wasn't exactly expecting that kind of advice, but Michigan is my home, not leaving here anytime soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most U.S. mountain bike companies are going to be in the Southwest - CA, CO, AZ, etc. I get the impression they outsource most of their engineering work too.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,516 Posts
Nobody I know of in Detroit.

SRAM has offices in Chicago and Indianapolis, with their Zipp Wheels facility I know there are some engineers in Indy because I've met a couple.
Trek is in Wisconsin
Hayes Group (Answer, Manitou, Sun-Ringle, Hayes, and Wheelsmith) is in Wisconsin
Kenda tires is in Ohio

There are probably some others, too, but aside from SRAM/Zipp I don't have much concept of who keeps engineers where. Trek probably has some if they still do their carbon fiber layups in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh bummer but thanks guys! I'll look into Kenda and see how far that is away, and also see if Trek has any because I actually have some experience designing carbon fiber components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks duke those companies make some sexy bikes. I may even have to look into those companies for my next ride!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts