Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am overhauling and redoing my old Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail (I know, Schwinn is now a Wal-mart brand but my frame was once to die for). I noticed that most new MTB have all black tires. I was going to pick a sidewall color for some new Panaracer XC tires I found on sale. I used to have a red theme going. Is this now unfashionable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very funny!

Crusty Oldman said:
Yes rickreyn, your tires should be mounted with the colored sidewalls on the outside. This assures the the tread will be on the outside as well, greatly improving handling and appearance.
A very literal translation. ;)

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
Hey, at least you're not asking about skinwalls!

Do wachalike, I never liked the red walls (had 'em), but hey....if you do, panaracer will thank you. FireXC's are still a relatively common tire. No one will accuse you of being trendy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Buy them

I just bought another pair of Fire XC Pros (still my favorite lightweight trail tire). I had to take them in blue. They clash with my bike, but once they get muddy it's less apparent. Bottom line: even if they had pink sidewalls they kill most of the other XC/Trail tires at their weight/price point (at least for New England riding).

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
I agree. Get a good tire, and get what you like to ride on. I just got a set of Fire XC pro's from Jenson, and they are an awsome tire. Great price, great tire. The color doesn't affect the performance, so who cares.

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
I don't really care about fashionable, I too run bar ends on risers.

As long as I've not something stupid like fluoro pink. ;-)

My rear tyre does have the colour on the sidewall, but along the centre of the tread. The oragne wearing out to expose the black under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.