Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this thread title (MTB magazine "light bike"...) in the weight weenie section but realised a lot of them were in kindagarten back then.
So i'd like to draw on my fellow retro enthusiasts memories. Could you please nip over to the weight weenie board and see if you can help.

It probably is a weight weenie thread (with a retro twist).

Don't post on this thread, thanks.

(moderators, sorry if my cross posting is incorrect behaviour on this board. Just looking for a bit of info)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
purdyboy said:
I posted this thread title (MTB magazine "light bike"...) in the weight weenie section but realised a lot of them were in kindagarten back then.
So i'd like to draw on my fellow retro enthusiasts memories. Could you please nip over to the weight weenie board and see if you can help.

It probably is a weight weenie thread (with a retro twist).

Don't post on this thread, thanks.

(moderators, sorry if my cross posting is incorrect behaviour on this board. Just looking for a bit of info)
Nope, you're cool. :)

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
I remember a very interesting article in Bicycling where they featured four mountainbikes that was built as weight wenie bikes. There was one Alu (Klein), one Steel (Steelman), one Carbon (Kestrel) and One Ti (McMahon) bike. The Steel (it was only clear coated, no paint) frame was the lightest of them!

So they took the lightest components from them all and mounted them on the steel frame. They got an 18.5 pound MTB. It was in 1991 or 1992 I think.

·
Steel is Real!
124 Posts
erkan said:
I remember a very interesting article in Bicycling where they featured four mountainbikes that was built as weight wenie bikes. There was one Alu (Klein), one Steel (Steelman), one Carbon (Kestrel) and One Ti (McMahon) bike. The Steel (it was only clear coated, no paint) frame was the lightest of them!

So they took the lightest components from them all and mounted them on the steel frame. They got an 18.5 pound MTB. It was in 1991 or 1992 I think.
Chas Robert's decked out a DogsBolx that one of the shop guys took along to the 92 ?? Malvern's. It was 18lbs with a steel frame. Bearing in mind everything else was 25 - 28 lbs at the time it was an eye-opener - not exactly "race tough" though! The wheels were close to exploding if someone sat on it.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I rememeber this one. The steel wasn't even clear coated, it was sprayed in Aquanet. I sort of remember the steel bike being something else though. I'm thinking it might have been the McMahon and the ti might have been something different.

cheers
I think the steel bike was a Steelman with that Excel tubing if I recall. The ti one was a McMahon Im pretty sure. I remember them saying the Steelman was very flexy, almost too flexy to really use I think.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
erkan said:

I rememeber this one. The steel wasn't even clear coated, it was sprayed in Aquanet. I sort of remember the steel bike being something else though. I'm thinking it might have been the McMahon and the ti might have been something different.

cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
scant said:
cool :)
in which case, does anyone remeber an article. a superlight specialized ultimate build with a massively high price tag.., possibly in a german bike mag?
Yes. I think it was MBi, I've got a copy somewhere round here, I can photo it if someone can host it. The amusing thing about it was he was about 2 years too soon - not long after that sort of weight (c17.5lbs) was more easily achievable without going to extremes with mods like he did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.