Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp my company just got bought and in a few months i will probally have to find a new job. Im 26 with a degreee and several yrs experince (pricing, costing, and production for printing industry) and have never had to face this kind of thing before. Im scared but confident that it will all work out in the end.

So last night im telling my GF about all of this, I half jokingly ask her where is it she wants to live. She without hessitation says Colorado, so im think let me get this straight i can get a job, keep you, and live in mountain bike mecca (currently in MO). I think this would be the best situation ever. Live where the air is pureish, the single track is ample and my girl is down.

My question to you guys is what bike realted jobs are out there for a guy thats only been seriously riding for a year (the vetrans cant match my passion thou), has a degree and work experince and is not affraid to get his hands dirty?

any suggestion is apperciated thanks

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
alm80 said:
Welp my company just got bought and in a few months i will probally have to find a new job. Im 26 with a degreee and several yrs experince (pricing, costing, and production for printing industry) and have never had to face this kind of thing before. Im scared but confident that it will all work out in the end.

So last night im telling my GF about all of this, I half jokingly ask her where is it she wants to live. She without hessitation says Colorado, so im think let me get this straight i can get a job, keep you, and live in mountain bike mecca (currently in MO). I think this would be the best situation ever. Live where the air is pureish, the single track is ample and my girl is down.

My question to you guys is what bike realted jobs are out there for a guy thats only been seriously riding for a year (the vetrans cant match my passion thou), has a degree and work experince and is not affraid to get his hands dirty?

SRAM has an office in Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It would depend on what, if any, mtb companies are located out there and what kind of jobs they have open. Then it would all come down to your work experiece thus far, and if it pertains to the positions they have open. If I were in your situation, I would take a weeks vacation from work, head out to colorado and go on a few interviews. I would start applying for jobs now online and set up some interviews. I just switched jobs myself. I ended up taking a pay cut, but my new job is a mon-fri and I'm off at 5 pm every day. My main reason for wanting more normal hours was so I can a get alot more riding time.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
alm80 said:

DT Swiss' North American headquarters is in Grand Junction, so is MRP. But our riding in the Grand Valley sucks (includes Grand Junction and Fruita). Not only that, but Moab is so far (1.5 hours) away.

Just know that the bike industry doesn't have a lot of money. You need to realize that what you get is quality of life, don't confuse that with a big income.

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That screampint is the never ending teeter totter in my head, big payday and all the stress that comes with it. Or job that pays less but has alot less stress.

what other industries have a large representation in CO ?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Rivet said:
SRAM has an office in Colorado Springs.
True. I live a mile away from that building. It used to be Rock Shox (It still is just under SRAM name since they got bought out) and had many more people working there. Now mfg job has been long gone and they only do mainly warranty and R&D operation...small operation. It would be cool to work there... I know some people work there and told that the bike industry is not the greatest paying...

Yup, great local mt biking in COS and don't have to drive very far to reach other mtb meccas.

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No grad degree here yet

oregon sounds cool, i just figure when your into bikes and have the oppurtunity to move, why not live in a bike area or better yet work for a bike type company

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Damn you guys are lucky, I'd move to CO in a moment and take a job once it covered the cost of living and a few bike parts every month in a heart beat. I'm definitely of the school of thought that all the stress those high paying jobs give you just isn't worth it compared to the time you get to try to spend that money you work so damn hard for.

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Geoffss i for got to say thank you for the Intese tip

Waht guy that grew up in a small ks town wouldnt want to live in socal and sell bikes, ya get to demo stuff, meet people, and its so cal (a midwestern 10 is only a 5 in socal ya )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.