Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
S&G CREW
267 Posts
Not too much up there some 4 wheeler trails that are ok but for the most part you have to drive up to an hour to get to something good.My brother works at the bike shop up there he could help you out a little but theres fun stuff to ride you just have to look around.The best trail is on private land and is pretty nice but you would have to make some friends.

·
Hermit
990 Posts
Moraine is right down I-79 and has some of the best riding around. Technical & tough, rocks & hills - who could ask for more. Kennerdell has some nice trails, with a couple of awesome downhills - 500 feet drop from the ridgetop to the river. And you can mtb overnight there as well. Two Mile Run park in Franklin has some potential, but I need to spend some more time there so I don't get quite so lost. And there are some trails in the Nat'l Forest to your east - you just gotta find em.

Steve Z

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hec yeah, the whole area is chuck full of hard core riding. I've been backpacking in that area since 1990 and can't wait to pedal out there! I pack mainly in the Laurel Highlands starting down at Ohio Pyle and hike north towards Johnstown, Seven Springs is closer to where you may be and has DH riding at their ski resort off season. If you do go all the way down to Ohio Pyle, you will want to kayak or raft instead of bike! But there is a bike trail that follows the river there if you want a nice 18 or 16 mile river ride. Never rode the bike there though.
I'm thinking that I want a FS bike for out there. What do you guy's who rode out there think about doing it on a hardtail?

·
Registered
658 Posts
No doubt, he would want to make a weekend of it. Your almost in Maryland and W.V.
It's ALOT steeper if that's what you want. For bikes alone, Moraine and all around that area is plenty good enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
nope on camping

you can only camp a few places at moraine and i dont think any of the are near the mtb trail. kdell you could ride and back pack for a weekend. moraine is probably too short to bike pack

to the op. you are hosed up near meadville. stop in at the bike shop if it is still around, they know some trails that are local. Definitely two mile, kdell, and moraine are your best semi-local bets. i think some people were building trails in erie parks. i would offer to show you around, but i broke my shoulder and will be out for most of the spring and summer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Moraine is my least favorite trail. You should check it out to form your own opinion.

If you like a fast and flowy trail system, you will quickly find out that Moraine is far from that.

It just depends on what type of trails you favor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Last time I went to Allegheny nat. forest, many years ago, backpacking, there were Dirtbike trails, ATV trails, and even 4x4 trails. There has to be MTB trails by now! There are miles and miles of wilderness and even Primitive wilderness up there. Perfect place for nice flowing trails. Alot of bears though! More people ride MTB's than go 4WD'ing IMO>

·
921 Posts
Bataivah said:
Last time I went to Allegheny nat. forest, many years ago, backpacking, there were Dirtbike trails, ATV trails, and even 4x4 trails. There has to be MTB trails by now! There are miles and miles of wilderness and even Primitive wilderness up there. Perfect place for nice flowing trails. Alot of bears though! More people ride MTB's than go 4WD'ing IMO>
From what I've read, there's some singletrack open to mtbs, but less than there should be. http://www.wnymba.org/ is a good resource for ANF.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.