Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a gear bag that doesn’t seem to exist. For years now been been using a basic canvas tote bag for my gear. Shoes on the bottom, helmet with gloves and shades inside next, and knee pads and hip pack on either side. Not having a top is key as it lets my soggy gear dry out after a ride even if I don’t unpack. I always prep my bike at home so I leave most tools and the floor pump there.
Lately I’ve been thinking it would be nice to have a couple pockets for spare bits or maybe even mesh pockets to keep things organized but still breathable and in a perfect world a separate shoe compartment like a gym bag.
Does anyone know of a gym/gear tote bag that works well for MTBing with any of the above features? Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dakine Descent Bike Duffle.
I used to use a duffle ( still do for overnight trips)but it's just straight overkill for the daily rides. Closest thing I can find is something like this beach bag but something not completely mesh to keep shoe muck from getting out.

Don't need or want a bag that really closes up. Not trying to be picky but I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a decent open top sport/gear bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally digging the out of the box thinking. I have a buddy who keeps his gear in a one of those Home Depot buckets, effective and cheap. I mean, I’m basically using a reusable grocery bag.
The one thing they’re missing is a couple of pockets though. Trying to be proactive and have a a couple spots for little items that might come in handy in a pinch, zip ties, valve cores, etc. Also learned the hard way to keep snacks separate so as not to burst open in transit.
Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
mean, I'm basically using a reusable grocery bag.
The one thing they're missing is a couple of pockets though.
I keep an older fanny pack in the bottom of my MTB laundry basket. I throw all my smaller loose items in there so they stay together and I can find them. Once in a while I need a fanny pack or I need to lend it so I just dump those items out and I can use the pck itself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep an older fanny pack in the bottom of my MTB laundry basket. I throw all my smaller loose items in there so they stay together and I can find them. Once in a while I need a fanny pack or I need to lend it so I just dump those items out and I can use the pck itself.
^
Genius.

Still have a hard time believing a major manufacturer hasn't produced a simple mtb bug out bag that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I use mesh zip pouches to keep small things from floating around. If you were so inclined you could rivet them to the sides of your milk crate or laundry basket so they'd stay on top

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
^
Genius.

Still have a hard time believing a major manufacturer hasn't produced a simple mtb bug out bag that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
would it really be an mtb product if it didn't cost an arm and a leg?

That's just one of those life things: if you need it to be really specialized, it's going to cost a lot. If you can adapt something you find at walmart...

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Tons of diaper caddies that look perfect except they're too small. The floral patterns are particularly nice.

Trunk totes and organizers are pretty good but most are too big for my purposes.

What are the good arm-and-a-leg solutions?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ nice, but too big for me. I'm looking for something with some structure that will stand up on it's own. There are a bunch of similar totes of the same size with collapsible wire frames, but too big for me. Of course compartments would be nice; shoes on one end, water bottles on the other held upright, helmet and clothes in the middle, a few pockets for snacks, accessories and tools.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been looking for a gear bag that doesn't seem to exist. For years now been been using a basic canvas tote bag for my gear. Shoes on the bottom, helmet with gloves and shades inside next, and knee pads and hip pack on either side. Not having a top is key as it lets my soggy gear dry out after a ride even if I don't unpack. I always prep my bike at home so I leave most tools and the floor pump there.
Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have a couple pockets for spare bits or maybe even mesh pockets to keep things organized but still breathable and in a perfect world a separate shoe compartment like a gym bag.
Does anyone know of a gym/gear tote bag that works well for MTBing with any of the above features? Thanks.
Using the larger version of this bag, and a few ikea bags for the really muddy stuff

Small Lost Lake Duffel Bag â€" -HIGH ABOVE-

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I use a basic gym bag with separate shoe pouch. I always seem to have 2 or 3 freebies laying around from one event or another. But I've been considering a Cat 5 Gear case. it addresses the one thing I don't like about totes/gym bags... lack of rigid sides. I also like the meshed helmet and shoe compartments.

CAT5GEAR

Anyone use one of these? I am concerned that it may be too limited in space.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up this bad boy from amazon to give it a go as it was only $13. Plenty of pockets on the outside of the bag and it has a tethered bag that's just big enough to fit my Fox shock pump in it diagonally.
My shoes are size 10.5 (41eu?) for reference. With my shoes and helmet in you can see the bag still extends about 6" upwards for room to toss in a jersey and jacket or such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have been using the Under Armour Backpack Duffle for years. Works good. Perfect size for all your mountain bike gear (shoes, helmet, jacket, tools, energy bars, hydration pack, etc) It has a dedicated shoe compartment, but I use it for my helmet. I put my shoes in a zippered shoe bag. Several compartments and mesh water bottle pocket. The backpack straps are the best for a duffle like this. Cost is around 50-70 bucks.

The only improvement I would want is vented compartments so your stuff can dry. I have to remove my wet gear as soon as I get home. Left in overnight a few time and stuff was funky.

Product Brown Bag Red White

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.