Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steel Singular Swift MTB that I am trying to set up with 3x10 speed Ultegra STI shifters (actually the left front is a 105 triple shifter).

The Singular has a 28.6 seat tube and I was using a direct-mount XT FD (down-pull) before I decided to switch to the drop bars.

what down-pull MTB front derailleur can I use that will work with Shimano road FD cable pull? Or maybe there is an alternate cable mounting work around. I tried using a road triple FD, but it wouldn't engage the big ring on the crank, because it didn't have enough reach.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Most Shimano Deore, SLX and XT front derailleurs can be set up as top pull or down pull. There are some that are Top Pull only, but most can be set up either way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Most Shimano Deore, SLX and XT front derailleurs can be set up as top pull or down pull. There are some that are Top Pull only, but most can be set up either way.
That's right, but the problem here is that mountain and road front derailleurs require different cable pull.

Personally I don't know of any mountain FD that will work with brifters in the Shimano world.

If the road FD didn't have enough reach you're going to have even less luck with a mountain front derailleur, because they require more cable pull.

Is the bottom bracket spindle length correct for the crankset?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I chose an older XT M750 with an Octalink BB (out of the parts bin) because of the 68mm bottom bracket on the Swift. Also so I can use the shorter 68mm/ 113mm length BB.

I was also wondering if the older SunTour MTB derailleurs have a more "road" like cable pull.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after trying 3 or 4 front derailleurs, I finally found one that works like it was made for this application. A trusty 1989 Shimano FD-M732. Only modification is that I am running the cable on the outside of the bolt rather than on the inside and over that little ramp thingy as originally intended.

More info can be found her describing this feat of engineering genius:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FD-M732, Deore XT

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
great!

Well, after trying 3 or 4 front derailleurs, I finally found one that works like it was made for this application. A trusty 1989 Shimano FD-M732. Only modification is that I am running the cable on the outside of the bolt rather than on the inside and over that little ramp thingy as originally intended.

More info can be found her describing this feat of engineering genius:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano FD-M732, Deore XT
Hi! I'm making a conversion with brifters. Shimano RSX 3x7 speed.

Do you have another more detailed picture about the cable installation?
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts