Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Please I need help , I wanted buying a fork for my bike (all mountain)
and I search for a very reliable fork that not need maintenance or the maintenance is very simple. I don't care about features of fork or the comfort - how it works, the weight can be medium. the budget can be around to 500 euro.

so:
1. the first criteria is maintenance and the security( I run fast on the mountain).
2. then the weight
3. the how it works
4. features

marzocchi vs fox vs rockshox ?

thanks for suggestion
marius

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
You're going to need to give a lot more info before we can help you.

So:
1.What bike will it be for?
2.What wheel size?
3.How much travel?
4.Rim or disc brakes?
5.Tapered or straight steerer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.bike will be for up and down from montain
2. well is 26
3. one per week
4. disk brake
5. I did't understood :)

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
1.bike will be for up and down from montain
2. well is 26
3. one per week
4. disk brake
5. I did't understood :)
You didn't understood 1, 3, or 5.

1. What specific bike will it be for? Make, model, year? That will help us narrow down the options for you.
3. If you can answer #1, we can answer #3 for you.
5. If you can answer #1, we can answer #5 for you.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
If reliability and feature set are your first two criteria, you can nail those with a rigid fork.

I think you need to think about what features and level of performance you don't want to give up.

People do report less effort maintaining coil spring forks. Get one with a rebound damper only (I'm projecting my minimum feature set on you) and there are fewer bits to break.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Another thing is if you ride ,then you need to maintain the bike ,all forks have a schedule of changing oil . You could look them up. Like Andrew said no maintaining a rigid fork.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
Agreed. Rigid fork has least maintenance.

Elastomer forks are "low maintenance" but ride quality sucks. Just squirt grease into them, for the most part...until the elastomer dies. By then, replacements are probably not made anymore and you can toss it in the trash.

Coil forks probably next.

Then a basic air fork.

Start adding compression damping to anything, and you increase the complexity and maintenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts