Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Director and Coach for the El Cerrito High School Racing Club it seems I am always being asked if there are MTB programs for young teens. It turns out that I am leading an MTB Camp for 11-16 year olds for the Albany YMCA, the week of July 31 to August 4. There is a requirement that each rider have participated in the Just Peddling segment of the YMCA riding program devised, not for beginners, but more experienced riders.
I will focus on being a smart mtb'er through preparation, good group riding skills, selection of techniques, and familiarity with our local trails; Bay Trail, Point Pinole, Wildcat, and Tilden. I have 14 years of experience in these haunts and have some great places to do some work, have some fun and a bit of adventure. This is not a racing camp yet, as MTB is often about managing at the extremes of effort, I will incorporate some of the stuff I teach my kids on the El Cerrito Club. Working hard together requires an awareness of others, mutual support, and sharing. My personal philosophy, central to our work, encourages health, safety, stamina, and skill with fun spread throughout.
We are fortunate to have some very talented riders with us in this venture and the Staff to rider ratio should be pretty nice. Our talent represents some fine efforts from the local MTB Community. We have Josh Church, a middle school teacher and mtb’er who, with prior experience in such programs, is running the Just Pedaling Along Program for the Y for the entire summer. Josh is also an MTBR contributor and has generously supported the ECHS Club with parts donations. We'll also have Alex Weismann working with us. I’ve known Alex for 5 years through his 3-season tenure as a Top Racer for Berkeley High, 2 years for UC Berkeley, and his hard administrative work for the Norcal League. We are fortunate indeed to have this talent to support and instruct our charges.
For more information just call the Albany YMCA at 525 1130 or at www.baymca.org. You are also welcome to PM me or reach me through echsmtb.com.

Pass the word!

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remember to tell your friends!

There aren't a lot of these programs around. It is amazing that the kids will often do the the things they need to do when we tell them after ignoring you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts