Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump that I bought 5 years ago. It's been decent but I'm looking for a new floor pump with a screw-on valve head. I only need this pump for presta valves so schrader valve compatibility has no value to me. I want a black pump. Yellow is too bright. There is no need to draw so much attention to a bike pump. I would really prefer a slicker looking pump. The Joe Blow aesthetics aren't that great. I don't mind spending extra money for a good performer with good looks. Any recs?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I got nothin on pump esthetics. I must say that I have used a bunch of pumps and the Topeak twin head chuck is one of my favorites among all of them, including screw on types like the Lezyne. It's easy to operate, a lot faster on and off, secure, and there's no danger of unscrewing a valve core. None of my bikes have schraders though I have helped a few riders at the trail head that needed air and had schraders.

For mtb specific use, I'd look for a high volume pump with a low pressure gauge. Personally I like a bright colored pump as I'm less likely to not see it, forget it, run it over, etc...

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I was going to recommend a Park pump but looking at their website shows a lot of discontinued pumps. No need for me to replace my PFP-6, but I wish I could have recommend it to you.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,591 Posts
Wow I didn't realize SILCA pumps were that expensive. So I guess I should state a price limit = $150
originals were made in Italy, and you can still find 50 and 60 year old pumps that are still usable and serviceable. If you find a legit older, higher quality one, you'll still pay at least what you want. Even one from the 80's will cost that. There are other, lesser quality models that you can get for cheaper. Near the end of the original company's life, they were having stuff made in Asia somewhere and was lower quality.

The new stuff is made in Indianapolis, and they still support the older products. Having put hands on the newer Super Pista Ultimate pumps (and used them), I have no doubt they'll become heirlooms, also.

I have a couple pumps. One is a cheapie Wrench Force I got 15yrs ago or so. Still works, but the gauge isn't useful for modern mtb use. Pressures are too high. I also have a nicer quality Serfas floor pump I got used for super cheap. It's a better quality pump (unlike the Wrench Force, it's actually serviceable), but the gauge is still not useful for modern mtb use. I have an aftermarket gauge I use with either pump.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The Silca heads have no lever or thread but rather kinda of a diaphragm that tightens on the valve when pressurized and is more difficult to pull off unless you let the pressure out of the hose first. I've seen guys pull the stem out of the wheel on road tubed tires at ~100 psi.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Air compressor. Unless of course you live somewhere with no electricity, or want to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse, in which case there will be no replacement parts for your bike anyway.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Filling a compressor to pump 20psi into a mtb tire kinda sucks. By the time I fill up my tank half way, I could have inflated all my tires with a pump.

I like the lezyne pumps! They look nice and they're made well. The overdrive pump maxes out at 60 psi, which is nice for mountain bikes. The resolution on a 150+psi pump kinda sucks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Filling a compressor to pump 20psi into a mtb tire kinda sucks. By the time I fill up my tank half way, I could have inflated all my tires with a pump.
The idea is the compressor stays filled in your garage, so you just grab the hose and inflate the tire in a few seconds. A decent compressor costs less than many floor pumps, and unlike the floor pump it has other uses.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I use this-
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/floor-pumps/845-joeblow--dualie

With wide rims and low pressure plus high capacity(1.5x volume), the 0-30psi. gauge is useful. The second gauge goes to 75.
View attachment 1261027
I recently picked one of these up, but I hate the dual head on this pump. I purchased the Topeak smart-head replacement kit with the pump. The only downside to that is you lose the pressure release button to let some air out. I like the ability to fine tune the tire pressure a little below 30 PSI for higher volume MTB tires, but if I was using the pump a lot for road tires...I wouldn't. For what its worth, I narrowed my search down to this pump and a Silca when I was looking recently.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I must say that I have used a bunch of pumps and the Topeak twin head chuck is one of my favorites among all of them...
Agree. Even the cheap ones are great. If you buy a pump because of the colour you deserve what you get as far as I'm concerned. I have a Lezyne screw-on here you can have for free if you want? It's shite but I think maybe you were made for each other? ;0)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I recently picked one of these up, but I hate the dual head on this pump. ..
The Topeak Twin Head is my favorite among all the pump heads I've used. What don't you like about it and what to you find better about the Smart Head? I have used pumps with the Smart Head and many similar.

I've had an air compressors for many years ('86?) and definitely advocate having one, but always used a floor pump on my road and mtb tires, except for occasionally seating a troublesome tubeless tire. I'm not sure why. It's just kinda part of the pre-ride ritual.

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
Air compressor. Unless of course you live somewhere with no electricity, or want to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse, in which case there will be no replacement parts for your bike anyway.
It's hard to throw an air compressor in the car, or find an outlet at the trailhead. I have an air compressor but 99.7% of the time I use a floor pump to inflate tires because it's convenient and easy. Mine is a cheap, bright yellow one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's hard to throw an air compressor in the car, or find an outlet at the trailhead. I have an air compressor but 99.7% of the time I use a floor pump to inflate tires because it's convenient and easy. Mine is a cheap, bright yellow one.
Yep, I'm over here with a $14 bell pump. Has a dual head and actually works very well.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.