Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Festival @ Kepler near Palmer 4/29

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  daveIT 
#1 ·
Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers will be having spring MTB Festival and gear swap to raise funds for our trail building and maintenance activities. We can't promise the trails will be dry enough to ride without screwing them up by then but most years it's dry by then so let's hope. There are camping spots available as well so should be fun. Hope to see you there.
SPRING GEAR SWAP
&
MOUNTAIN BIKE FEST

SATURDAY, APRIL 29TH
10:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
Kepler-Bradley State Park

Bring us your used (but useable) outdoor gear to *sell …..
bikes, backpacks, fishing rods, tents, skis, snowboards, canoes, kayaks, whatever….

8:00am -10:00am Drop-off gear & register
You set the price

10:00am – 4:00pm Gear on sale at the park
Come buy something!

12:00pm – 1:00pm Bike maintenance class
Learn how to care for your bike

1:00pm – 1:30 pm Bike riding skills
Tips on riding mountain bikes

2:00pm – 4:00pm Ride in the park
Join a guided bike ride through the park

4:00pm – 5:00 pm Pick-up money and/or unsold gear
Any items left behind will be donated to Bishops Attic
Money not picked up will be considered a donation to VMBaH

* 20% of the selling price (or more, if the Seller so designates) to go to the
VALLEY MOUNTAIN BIKERS and HIKERS
call 745-7714 for more information

See less See more
#2 ·
Camping?

Anyone planning on camping out at the fest. Jo-Ann and I are planning on takin' the VW hippie mobile out for an overnight if the camping spots are open and the trails are good. Maybe even if the trails aren't good we'll put in some road miles on the MTB, then a campfire etc. Anyone else thinking of spending the weekend out there.

Adam

#3 ·
Adam said:
Anyone planning on camping out at the fest. Jo-Ann and I are planning on takin' the VW hippie mobile out for an overnight if the camping spots are open and the trails are good. Maybe even if the trails aren't good we'll put in some road miles on the MTB, then a campfire etc. Anyone else thinking of spending the weekend out there.

Adam
Hippies are cool.

#7 ·
Directions

timwoody said:
And if the trails look good, maybe some basic directions to the right spot for folks who don't often get up that way?
Kepler Bradley is just past the Parks/Glenn Junction. Stay on the Glenn and look for signs. The entrance to the park is just a tad past the crest of that hill immediately past the Parks/Glenn Junction. If you start going down hill for a while and see those lakes on your left you have gone too far. The signs for the park are those standard brown signs with white lettering that are all over the state. The park entrance is on the left side of the road. I don't know the mileage from the parks/glenn junction but it isn't too far.

No one from Palmer has chimed in on this thread but the word I hear from a non-trail riding buddy in palmer is that it is dry out there.
Adam

#11 ·
kitchen pass

I can get a kitchen pass for Saturday so my wife can go out Sunday.

I'd like to go, but I have to put my CR-V in the shop for a tire and oil change that morning (drop it off at 8am or so). If anyone in Anchorage wants to carpool I'll chip in some money. I'd pedal my ass there if I wasn't a big wussy.

Lemme know...

D 2 Duh A 2 Duh V 2 Duh E

#12 ·
Just your luck

daveIT said:
If anyone in Anchorage wants to carpool I'll chip in some money.
I just bought a 4Runner and installed roof mounts that need testing. We could see if your Yeti would stay on all the way to Palmer. Then I'd know if it was safe to put my bikes up there. I was thinking of just going up for the ride, though, not for the bike swap, etc.

Gimme a call. 360-3081

#13 ·
Camp out

This is our first gear swap for Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers but we did a campout there two years ago and the trails were dry then in late April. I havn't been able to get out there in the last week so I'm not sure about trail conditions. We got a couple inches of snow on Tuesday but it has been dry and windy since then so hope we'll be able to do some riding. i'm sure there will be some wet spots remaining. I'll probably be camping out on Sat evening so looking forward to seeing you all out there.

Alaska Ultra Sport guru Bill Merchant will be teaching us how to keep our WalMart bikes tuned to their full potential and recent Colorado transplant Cullen Barker will be schoolin' us in a MTB skill clinic. I will be leading a group ride if the trails are dry enough and the gear swap where you trade us your Merlin titanium bikes for our WalMart bikes :D will be happening all day Saturday. See you there.

Wildfire

#15 ·
K-B Field Report

I walked a bunch of the trails this week and can report they are not quite thawed or dry. Its been getting down to freezing every night this week, which isn't helping.

There will be a bunch of field riding available:) , but much of the singletrack is still pretty soft.:(

Also, just into the trail from the parking lot the water/sewer construction zone is an ugly mud bog - plan on a little hike-a-bike. The really bad news - this is just the clearing - laying the pipe its weeks away. Plan on hike-a-biking for a while before this gets cleaned up.

#16 ·
Thanks to all.

Thanks to all that showed for our little MTB fest yesterday. We had clear skies and great attendance from far and wide plus we earned a sweet little kitty for our club war chest!Unfortunately we had to confine our riding to the field trails as the singletrack was still too wet but we did actually get to ride on dirt for the first time this year. Fun was had by all and looking forward to next years event but probably should move it up to the first weekend in May to give the trails more chance to dry. Tradeoff: mosquitos. Anyhoo thanks again.

#17 ·
Right back atcha

Wildfire said:
Thanks to all that showed for our little MTB fest yesterday.
Thanks for letting us Anchorage types in on the fun, Wildfire. It was good to hang out with the bike crowd and get the tires dirty again.

Here are some pics from the ride. Sorry about the close-up shot of the scary-lookin' dude. Some weirdo jumped in front of my camera at the last second. You guys should impose some admission standards for next year!

Attachments

#21 ·
Dave is SO dead ...

daveIT said:
I wish I would have seen this license plate before I decided to do the 24H with Tim as a teammate.
He must of bought it off a roadie or something.
This is photographic proof that vanity plates are not a victimless crime. They penalize used-car buyers everywhere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.