Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB Conversion Question

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Luclin999 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to make my bike more suitable for paved roads and gravel greenways since it's only way I can ride more where I live. Do you have any recommendations for tires, saddle, fork?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
IMHO I wouldn't change a thing, ride it as is. Saddles are personal thing so if you wan t something different its trial and error. If you really wanted too you could swap to a rigid fork and semi slicks. But I'd leave it be for what you wanna do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yeah it is fine as is... When time comes for new tires you will just want something that is more of a semi-slick than knobby tire. Other option, tirewise, would be to look at 700c Cyclocross (CX) type tires. This will add a bit of variety to the tread type.

Past that kinda stuff, check with your local municipal codes with regards to "visibility" for riding on the roads and whatnot. Some areas require that you have a front and rear facing light and others may not. Then look at some things like framebags and panniers to add to the "ease" of carrying things, but that kinda depends on the length of your commutes and rides.

Definitely invest in a nice U-Lock if you are planning on locking the bike up outside. There are companies like Chrome that offer locks that double as belts or shoulder straps for backpacks/bags.

#7 ·
Tires: Schwalbe Thunder Burt, Specialized Renegades, Panaracer Gravelkings, etc. Supple, lightweight tires would be nice.

Suspension for is fine, but something rigid that fits your head tube and has a 480-490 a-c length would save quite a bit of weight.

A comfy alt handlebar would be nice. I really like having TOGS on my mtb, but some classic bar ends like the Cane Creek ones would be nice too.

Frame/ handlebar/ saddle bags are nice for carrying snacks and spares.

#10 ·
When I bought my new mountain bike, my old one became my gravel and pavement bike. The only thing I feel it really needs is a more upright and softer seat. Never realized how hard my seat was riding single track. I guess I didn't stay seated enough to notice. also another 40mm rise on the bars would be nice. As far as tires I just add some air.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.