Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-
I really feel I've hit a relative plateau in terms of riding technique and I get mentally drained sitting watching YouTube videos about MTB stuff...
Can anyone recommend a good coach/school here in LA?
I know about the MTB Ninja school but often the wk end camps are sold out and I want to book some week day sessions ideally.
I ride in the Santa Monica, Pasadena, Burbank areas but could also hit Simi trail areas

As a secondary query ( possibly I should post this as a separate post) I would love to ride with somebody who knows the trails in Simi area like Hummingbird/Chumash etc
I would say I am at a decent Intermediate Level- I ride single black stuff like El Prieto, Yedvart's, Valhalla, ( though not at 30 mph...;)
Thanks~

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey All-
I really feel I've hit a relative plateau in terms of riding technique and I get mentally drained sitting watching YouTube videos about MTB stuff...
Can anyone recommend a good coach/school here in LA?
I know about the MTB Ninja school but often the wk end camps are sold out and I want to book some week day sessions ideally.
I ride in the Santa Monica, Pasadena, Burbank areas but could also hit Simi trail areas

As a secondary query ( possibly I should post this as a separate post) I would love to ride with somebody who knows the trails in Simi area like Hummingbird/Chumash etc
I would say I am at a decent Intermediate Level- I ride single black stuff like El Prieto, Yedvart's, Valhalla, ( though not at 30 mph...;)
Thanks~
I highly recommend doing an in person workshop with Fluidride - Mountain Bike Clinics, Coaching and Classes Simon may come to LA this year. It would definitely be worth a trip to Seattle once things clear up.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Do you have the basics down? Cornering skill/bike body separation? Have you had a knowledgeable rider check your bike setup out?

Maybe start with a beginner/intermediate class to dial in your technique and progress to the next class from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the basics down? Cornering skill/bike body separation? Have you had a knowledgeable rider check your bike setup out?

Maybe start with a beginner/intermediate class to dial in your technique and progress to the next class from there.
Hey thanks for reading my post
Well yes that’s exactly why I was looking for some recommendations - to hone some of the things that i may not be able to teach myself-and my cornering skills i am sure could be tightened up
I was looking for some suggestions for a decent MTB coach local to LA to work on anything and everything that might need work .. i
Looks like I have possibly got one good suggestion...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mark is a great guy and MTNB instructor with a long history in the sport. I'm probably at the same level as you, and I worked with Mark last year when I met with him near Thousand Oaks and Agoura. He also co-authored a book on local mtnb trails, so he has great intel and will also ride with you as a reasonably priced guide:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark is a great guy and MTNB instructor with a long history in the sport. I'm probably at the same level as you, and I worked with Mark last year when I met with him near Thousand Oaks and Agoura. He also co-authored a book on local mtnb trails, so he has great intel and will also ride with you as a reasonably priced guide:

Thanks -will check it..!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Another recommendation for Mark Langton here. Kind of a gruff old dude (like me), but very observant. He figured out pretty quickly some issues I was having with technique and gave me some very helpful advice. Well worth the money.

·
always licking the glass
2,493 Posts
Another recommendation for Mark Langton here. Kind of a gruff old dude (like me), but very observant. He figured out pretty quickly some issues I was having with technique and gave me some very helpful advice. Well worth the money.
I had Mark as a coach back in 2002-2003 when i lived down in Pasadena. If he’s still coaching, definitely schedule some time with him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had Mark as a coach back in 2002-2003 when i lived down in Pasadena. If he’s still coaching, definitely schedule some time with him.
Sadly Mark is moving outta state
Spoke to him today
:/
Bummer
I enjoyed talking w him- seems the trails I am able to ride and clear successfully are according to him fairly technical already, but my search continues!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts