Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I went mountain biking today and all of a sudden I can no longer back paddle, or keep the paddles stationary while going downhill. The bike makes a rattling sound. When I turn the wheels, the paddles turn. When I try to back paddle, the chain seems to block and drops of the cogs. Forward paddling works fine. Does anyone know what might be the cause, or what I should be looking for to identify the cause. If you know what the problem is: can I fix this myself, or is a repair shop required?

Thanks,

Joris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That indeed seems the thing I was looking for. Makes it easier to search tutorials. Unfortunately an expensive part. Is there something I could have done wrong, causing it to break?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, I had somewhat similar symptoms and it was just a pebble lodged near the front small gear ring. I was thinking, Oh no I blew my hub and it was just a pebble kicked up off the front tire jamming the front chain ring from going backwards, it would peddle forward OK. Sure was happy when I figured it out on the trail and could keep on riding. You might just check before you start taking things apart.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Free wheels and free hubs do go bad, how old is the wheel? Sometimes you can get them to free up by shooting something like WD40 into them. That only works for a little while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts