Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I went mountain biking today and all of a sudden I can no longer back paddle, or keep the paddles stationary while going downhill. The bike makes a rattling sound. When I turn the wheels, the paddles turn. When I try to back paddle, the chain seems to block and drops of the cogs. Forward paddling works fine. Does anyone know what might be the cause, or what I should be looking for to identify the cause. If you know what the problem is: can I fix this myself, or is a repair shop required?

Thanks,

Joris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That indeed seems the thing I was looking for. Makes it easier to search tutorials. Unfortunately an expensive part. Is there something I could have done wrong, causing it to break?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, I had somewhat similar symptoms and it was just a pebble lodged near the front small gear ring. I was thinking, Oh no I blew my hub and it was just a pebble kicked up off the front tire jamming the front chain ring from going backwards, it would peddle forward OK. Sure was happy when I figured it out on the trail and could keep on riding. You might just check before you start taking things apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.