Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· getting back into it...
210 Posts
Gore Bike Wear does something like this, although it's not going to be waterproof. Do a search for Gore Bike Wear C7 2in1. They've done this for a while now, product used to be called their Alp-X line, I think. Now it's C5 / C7 stuff.

That said, I think people can wear whatever tight bibs they like and wear non-lined baggies over them. More versatility there, and still allows you to use the style and functionality of a baggy.

Working for Hyperthreads, I can tell you our Mountain Baggy shorts are awesome. I've used for a couple years now, wearing them over bibs or shorts.

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
Actually, the issue is that the baggy shorts are dropping. I wear a G-Form MTB Compression shorts with padding (for protection against falls). This needs an outer-garment and with baggy shorts, the cinch point is always the waist which makes it just as uncomfortable as shorts are versus bib shorts.

Maybe I just need a onesie.
suspenders? before you think I'm kidding, I use a pair of ski suspenders in the wintertime with the particular "tights" I have that have a stupid high waist that doesn't cinch well.

· Registered
911 Posts
I know you stated you don't like the waist cinch point on baggy shorts, but have you tried a belt with some stretch? I've found the Arcade belts to be quite nice for this and hey have a very low profile buckle.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I'd prefer a baggy over an indoor trainer style bib for summer. The airflow is good for the jewels.
Busy working on something with a manufacturer
I invested in a bunch of 7Mesh stuff this year. Not inexpensive, but no regrets. They may have beat you with your idea…

I know this is not addressing the OP's question, but I agree with the shorts over bibs suggestions.

My hot weather go-to bibs are these (obviously with shorts over top, unless you like the drag queen look):

For shorter rides, I also have these (under shorts), which are shockingly good:

Both options are incredible when combined with these lighter than air, tougher than nails outer shorts:

I also have these cargo bibs but these are reserved for cooler weather (with or without shorts over them).

· Registered
2,954 Posts
I invested in a bunch of 7Mesh stuff this year. Not inexpensive, but no regrets. They may have beat you with your idea…

I know this is not addressing the OP's question, but I agree with the shorts over bibs suggestions.

My hot weather go-to bibs are these (obviously with shorts over top, unless you like the drag queen look):

For shorter rides, I also have these (under shorts), which are shockingly good:

Both options are incredible when combined with these lighter than air, tougher than nails outer shorts:

I also have these cargo bibs but these are reserved for cooler weather (with or without shorts over them).

I'm aware of 7mesh. What I'm trying to get made isn't just the indoor bib with baggy shorts but a complete garment

· Don't be a sheep
3,414 Posts
Is there such a thing a MTB baggy bib shorts with water-resistant/tear-resistant fabric?
I have running bibs with baggies for over a dacade. Just get some safety pins and pin the shorts to the bibs so the baggies don't fall down. I put some duct tape where I'm going to pin the shorts to the baggies. I don't care about holes because I always used retired road bibs.

· Registered
42 Posts
Scott make a hybrid bike short. Maybe not quite what you are after but has relaxed fit around thighs.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I have running bibs with baggies for over a dacade. Just get some safety pins and pin the shorts to the bibs so the baggies don't fall down. I put some duct tape where I'm going to pin the shorts to the baggies. I don't care about holes because I always used retired road bibs.
My Patagonia shorts have looped snaps to connnect to bibs. So do a bunch of Fox shorts I have.

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
A few cycling bibs are now offering "cargo" or "enduro" options-which means the addition of stretchy mesh pockets. However, these do not check the durable requirement.

Best option is to use the padding/compression short of your choice and pair with a set of baggies. The most durable cycling shorts/pants/manpries I have found are from TwinSix.com. I have one set which have been in use for close to 8 years---there is noticeable wear from the saddle but otherwise, they're GTG.

I'd use a spray (ScotchGuard) for water resistance. Most true water resistant clothing is not stretchy.

Reactions: Vance72 and Brad
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.