Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the Jerc
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dilema:
I race my MTB, but I do have a road bike to train on. I'm trying to figure out which one to put a power meter on and I'm leaning toward the Power Tap version. Do any of you have a PT on your MTBs? Would it be a better idea to get a less accurate (I'm assuming) type like a VDO Z3 so I could put it on both? Most of my MTB riding is on non-technical fire roads that go on forever and it's pretty wet here (Germany near Belgium).

What do you think?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi... Which bike do you ride the most when it comes to training? I think you should put it in the bike that you use the most for training, now if you have the extra $$$$ to spend , buy both.......

In my case, I race only MTB. but most of my train in the road with my road bike, SO I have the powertap for the road bike... I live too far away from my local trails...... By the way, power is a great tool for training ................. Good Luck...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I train on my ATB, so my power meter is on it. Although I do have a road bike, I haven't ridden it in over seven years. So ... it's on my ATB, which I train on both on-road & on-trail. Training is training, the body doesn't care whether it's done on an ATB or a road bike. Makes things a lot simpler for me.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just got one and went with the road bike. Our mountain bike trails are mostly twisty and technical singletrack, So it is often tough to get in consistent hard efforts on the trail. I therefore do my harder workouts on the road (or when necessary using a trainer) and that is where I thought I'd get the best use of the power meter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am at Landstuhl and I have a road powertap. With the way the weather has been since I got here in June I am saving for a mtb powertap. The fire roads here are plenty long and steady enough to do all my training on them. For me personally if I had to choose only one I would take the mtb because that is what I primarily do and what better way than to train on what you will be racing.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
+1 for the pt on road bike.

I do alot of winter training on the rollers, which is more compatible with rb.
Rollers is a great way to get steady controlled zone work.

If I want to do intervals off road then I'll use PE. Lots of time on the PT will get your PE estimates pretty good.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i ran a PT on my cross bike last year and did a lot of interval;s off road, mainly on grass. I found if I picked a course that wasn't at all technical and teneded to pick up elevation I was able to do things like 5 minute intervals and hit the numbers pretty consistently. For ring around on twisty trails the numbers are pretty useless due to all the coasting. I liked it because I was able to train off the streets and still get a good workout.

I got sick of the whole affair and sold the PT however.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Slight bias here... but I've found racing and training with a mtb power meter to be an invaluable tool personally and for my athletes.

While it may not be the most applicable tool for xc racing (you shouldn't be looking at a computer you should be drilling it) Here's where I find the use-fullness

• Post-Race Analysis-Where was my weakness, when did it occur, how was my feeding
  • Off-Road intervals are they truly worthwhile or not for you (can I perform them properly on my terrain...)
  • Endurance racing-great pacing tool, can utilize to
  • If paired with a road power meter, you now have every aspect of your training and can captured and can get accurate info every ride (big one for WKO+ nerds)
  • I've pulled several workouts straight out of mtb race workouts. No guessing what you need to do. Know exactly what you need to do
  • Repeatability/tracking progress when riding the same terrain often
  • Power is the new wave of training, it's much more quantifiable and accurate than heart rate or PE

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
nathanbal said:
powertap on my road bike...
+1 for the powertap on my road bike. when i'm in the woods, i prefer to use perceived effort and use all extra energy enjoying being in, well, the woods. on the road/trainer, where concentration on terrain (and aesthetics) is less important and my ability to sustain longer intervals is greater, the powertap is the way to go. i suppose, in an ideal world, my mtb training wheels would be powertaped. my friend marshall (29er crew) rips on his mtb and swears by his powertap on his dirt bike. personal preference, i suppose. good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
sprocketjockey9 said:
Slight bias here... but I've found racing and training with a mtb power meter to be an invaluable tool personally and for my athletes.

While it may not be the most applicable tool for xc racing (you shouldn't be looking at a computer you should be drilling it) Here's where I find the use-fullness

• Post-Race Analysis-Where was my weakness, when did it occur, how was my feeding
  • Off-Road intervals are they truly worthwhile or not for you (can I perform them properly on my terrain...)
  • Endurance racing-great pacing tool, can utilize to
  • If paired with a road power meter, you now have every aspect of your training and can captured and can get accurate info every ride (big one for WKO+ nerds)
  • I've pulled several workouts straight out of mtb race workouts. No guessing what you need to do. Know exactly what you need to do
  • Repeatability/tracking progress when riding the same terrain often
  • Power is the new wave of training, it's much more quantifiable and accurate than heart rate or PE
+1 for all of the benefits of mtb powertap. Had an mtb powertap one for 6 years--missing it now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts