Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody out there combining MTB'ing with fresh-water fishing? I bike a number of parks that have lots of small ponds and lakes and I'm often saying to myself "Self, that looks like a great fishing spot". One of these days, I'm thinking of bringing along some tackle. I think the rod/reel will be easy to attach to the top-tube, but wondering what others have done for mounting rods, tackle, etc. Also, I guess it would be catch and release unless you've got some good thoughts on how to carry fish back out too. Thanks in advance. Pictures are always a plus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Huff,
I just returned from a rail trail river run that I try to do every week. I fish for trout on this river and just put my pole in a back pack. Today was our 1st day of trout fishing season here in PA. Because I use a back pack I use a 2 piece unltralight.. I also ride/fish lakes, ponds even the ocean when on vaca. My bike is a great way to get in some far away places that don't see much fishing pressure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's funny this thread popped up today. I was riding a new trail and saw what looked like a pristine, naturally fed pond on my left and actually stopped at the bank to look around. I think I'm going to pack a small, telescoping rod in my backpack on some rides. It's obviously not my first choice of rod or reels, but it's very compact and can catch a good sized Bass if need be.

Something like one of these two.
Amazon.com: Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo in Hard Carry Case: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Trailworthy-T...6IHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334451112&sr=8-1

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a couple rods that break down a bit. Perhaps I just need to go light on tackle and shove a small kit into the Camelbak. Man, I just keep adding stuff. I'm gonna have to re-survey my needs in there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got a couple rods that break down a bit. Perhaps I just need to go light on tackle and shove a small kit into the Camelbak. Man, I just keep adding stuff. I'm gonna have to re-survey my needs in there.
I don't know what you use, but I would just keep a pack of Senko worms and a small pack of hooks. Very minimal and I by FAR catch most of my fish on worms. Just something about them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tenkara would be super easy

tenkarausadotcom

Telescoping fly rod, 20" to 14'. You don't have to worry about extra line, reels, etc. I've been considering going this route for the mountain streams around me.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what you use, but I would just keep a pack of Senko worms and a small pack of hooks. Very minimal and I by FAR catch most of my fish on worms. Just something about them.
I think you're right. I'm probably over-thinking this. I need to hit Walmart and get a little pocket sized tackle box like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I fly fish as well as ride but it's an either or proposition for me. Either I'm riding or fishing. But that's just me.

·
AKA. Molasses
172 Posts
I invented MTBing just so that I could go fishing.
True story.

It was 30 years or so ago, back our native Spain. We needed transportation to the increasingly distant fishing spots, and the bikes we had were not going to cut it. We either killed ourselves pedaling BMX style bikes or had lots of mishaps as soon as the trail turned sketchy on our road racers. And then there was grandpa's bike, with a top tube up to my chest and wheels that felt like 36" big. So we started thinking about off-road mods just to find out that somebody else had been making strides at the concept for some time on this side of the pond. (I live in the US now)

Darn Gary Fisher and friends! I could have been you, only younger and more handsome...!:D

Anyway, from my biking/fishing experience, all of the above advice is great. You now have lots of tackle choices we did not have years ago, like 7-piece travel rods in tubes that would only slightly stick out of your camelback or could be zip tied to your frame or handlebars.

The mini tackle boxes are great to carry some hooks, light weights and/or flies, and a spool of fly leader material will not take space at all. With that, a bag of worms, and pliers you are set.

Since you mentioned fish bags, There are some that kayak fisherman use to keep the fish fresh long after the catch, but I do not know that they would be practical for the bike. Maybe they can be attached like a frame bag...? Here is an example of one:
Creative Feathers Studio/Fly Shop - Kayak Fish Bags

Thanks for the original post. It brings memories of good times, fishing, bikes, and friends that I miss a lot and for the most part have now made their way to clyde status... :thumbsup:

Javier

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have spotted some ponds while riding that I just KNOW have to contain some monster bass. But like the poster above me, I'm either riding, or I'm fishing. The bike would just be a tool to discover forgotten ponds that nobody fishes. The hard part is figuring out a way to gain access to a lot of the ponds that are surrounded with brambles and marsh without getting eaten by snakes or alligators.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have spotted some ponds while riding that I just KNOW have to contain some monster bass. But like the poster above me, I'm either riding, or I'm fishing. The bike would just be a tool to discover forgotten ponds that nobody fishes. The hard part is figuring out a way to gain access to a lot of the ponds that are surrounded with brambles and marsh without getting eaten by snakes or alligators.
you should carry a small machete.

but anyway i love both sports i carry a small takle box and a waly world telescoping rod and reel in my backpack take up very little room and are great fro that hole you always ride past

1 - 12 of 12 Posts