Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
hiking gps like etrex can be bar mounted and (if citynav maps are bought and loaded) can work for car nav functions... but it's less than ideal. you get a small screen and less user-friendly interface and no audible signal (other than beeps)... and will also have to buy a mount. the cheapest nuvi is really all you need and works great, and can be had for about $130 (which is approx 1/2 the price of the maps). going the other way (nuvi for biking) you'll run into mounting and battery life issues. don't know about using a bike gps for car nav functions. imo, better to get the right tool for the job

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've used both my GPSmap76 and my Colorado 400 for bike and car with good results. Hardly go anywhere without my GPS.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It is really a trade of between bike and auto GPS units. Bike units are smaller in size and auto units have larger screens. I have the Garmin Edge 705 and have used it in my car, but it works best on my bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Nuvi looks nice, and I think it'd be a great fit for the car. But it does look slightly large, and I can't seem to find any mounting accessories for the MTB.....

I can't really afford to buy an individual GPS receiver for both bike and car right now....

·
since 4/10/2009
35,253 Posts
about the only practical way to do it is to use a larger handheld receiver. Nuvis are no good in the woods. They're fine for walking around a city after you've parked, but that's about it.

Touch screen is awful nice in a car trying to punch in the destination you want, but touch screen handhelds are expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.