Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been answered already. I'm at work with no time to search.

Ok so I was out riding and my front caliper started squeaking. It got progressively worse until it was a full on metal on metal howl. It turns out that the outside 2 pistons are stuck. How would I go about fixing that?

It tweaked my rotor too but I can fix that myself. I'd love to take it to a local shop and support them, but I am a simple and poor shredder. I do my own builds and work because of that.

Hopefully it's a simple fix. The season finally started so I'm itching to ride!

Thanks all.

P.S... why the hell does Magura have to use T25 torx head bolts for everything?No big deal but annoying when trying to manually readjust the caliper trailside. I was that guy caught unprepared who had to stop a fellow shredder to borrow one. My dumbass also snapped a bleed screw head right off too. Time to find the world's tiniest easy out. /[rant]

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you take out your pads you can squeeze the lever with a thin scraper or something in the middle while holding the good side piston from coming out. This will allow help force the bad pistons out. Then you can clean them and keep doing the same procedure until they loosen up.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,202 Posts
If you take out your pads you can squeeze the lever with a thin scraper or something in the middle while holding the good side piston from coming out. This will allow help force the bad pistons out. Then you can clean them and keep doing the same procedure until they loosen up.
magura has a video doing this while bending the rotor, to center pistons

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do when I get home from work. I feel like it won't be hard. Maybe itll take some time and finesse. It's a good chance to expand my knowledge and all that.

EDIT: just a quick update. I got the outside pistons unstuck by removing the pads on both sides and gently pulling the lever and then resetting the pistons. After doing that a few times the outside ones loosened up a bit. They still dont move as much as the inside ones do but the system works fine. Straightening the rotor was a simple thing after that. Thanks for all the help.

As an aside I think I'm going to switch to the mt7 style pads. Easier to remove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts