Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Charles - It was my first time there so I'm not sure what it was like in the past.

We parked on a residential street off Sierra Madre and entered thru a small gate. We found a singletrack thru the wash but that led to a hikers only trail. No bikes. So we hiked (with our bikes) until we hit the fire road. From there is was just a long, grinding climb to the top. We did not encounter the slide area although the other riders mentioned it. Mabye our HAB bypassed. We exited the tollroad directly across from the observatory.

For the down, we dropped behind the observatory. Cold as &*(#[email protected] and still a bit of snow remaining. I don't know the downhill trails by name but it was all good and all rideable. We ended up climbing a single track that dropped us off in the Chantry Flats(?) picnic area. From there it was a 10mi road ride back to the cars.

I can get specific trail names if you need them but I'm guessing you know the area.
maurice

·
Registered
21 Posts
The toll road off of Pincecrest in Altadena is still closed due to slides. The word I got recently is that they are beginning to work on the road, starting from the top and coming down. They estimate completion by July, 2009. I'm sceptical it will go that quickly, but we'll see. It looks like they are not going to repair the bridge at the bottom though, so we'll have to see if they re-open the gate on Pinecrest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mauric..i look i found these links to the Mt.Wilson Toll Road!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2008/10/henninger-flats.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2008/10/henninger-flats.html
Man I know what you mean by it was *#&$(&#(* cold up there. I remember 14 years ago I would go up to the observatory and it would be ice cold. And when I come across hikers who have questions, I would try to talk but my lips would be frozen. LOL!!! I used to ride up the Toll road from my house and drop down to Sierra madre or Chantry Flats for like a 30 mile loop! What you did was studly!!! you climbed up Mt Wilson Trail and then dropped down to chantry flats. Mt Wilson Trail is really ****ing steep if i could remember.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Charles - We originally planned to enter via the gate picture in blog link #2.

The climbing on the toll road wasn't too bad. Since it was my first ride up I don't have nything to compare. We could tell that some grading had been done on the upper sections due to the bobcat tracks and the equipment sitting along the tollroad at various pts.

COLD COLD AND COLD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey referring to blog link #2, You can try a hiking only trail off Midwick Dr & Altadena Dr to by pass the large slide if you want to climb up Mount Wilson Toll Road. A friend of mine says he just walks the hiking only section but is steep till you connect to the fire road. Then you can climb up to the observatory and drop down either to Chantry Flats or Sierra Madre then road ride to your car! Oh the gates at the observatory are usually closed oct thru april last i remember but there is access from the fire road to the observatory and connects to the parking lot where the hang gliders jump off from.

I know, unsolicited trail directions here. I just get excited about this trail/fire road. Hope you don't mind.

if you got pictures, please post it!!!

[email protected]!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.