Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Its all sketch
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know any good trails on MT. Tam Ive done tender foot but I want to ride some knew things.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Tenderfoot is the only fun and legal singletrack on Tam. There is Coastal singletrack. An out and back 2.5 mile each way. It leaves from Pantoll and drops down to the highway. It is fast and buff on the way down and an easy climb on the way up.

Beyond that there is squat.

·
Freetard.
670 Posts
Coastal is for sure fun, and there is a nice, technical (90 degree two foot wide turns) off to the side, but like most other good trails on Tam, it is completely illegal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Going to be camping at Kirby Cove (under the Golden Gate Bridge/bottom of Marin Headlands).

I live in Marin and was thinking about riding to our campsite to meet my friends.

What route would you guys suggest in taking?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
A possible route.

Up Tenderfoot, up Rail Road Grade to West Pt. Inn, out on Old Gravity Car to Pantoll, down the Coastal singletrack, down highway 1 to Muir Beach, Up Green Gulch singletrack, down Miwok, up Old Springs or Marincello, down Bobcat or Miwok, up Coastal and then down to Kirby Cove.

That hits a good amount of singletrack, most going up besides Coastal.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
~20 miles.

To get from MV to Kirby Cove there is going to be a fair amount of climbing, not sure you are going to get a ton of "downhill aspect". Will have to climb up to go down.

·
Registered
290 Posts
baycat said:
A possible route.

Up Tenderfoot, up Rail Road Grade to West Pt. Inn, out on Old Gravity Car to Pantoll, down the Coastal singletrack, down highway 1 to Muir Beach, Up Green Gulch singletrack, down Miwok, up Old Springs or Marincello, down Bobcat or Miwok, up Coastal and then down to Kirby Cove.

This is one of the ALL TIME best routes in all of Marin. Bring a lock and stop at the Pelican Inn for grub and a few beers prior to heading up Middle Green Gulch.

·
aka Manzanita Tom
88 Posts
hopex0 said:
Any one know any good trails on MT. Tam Ive done tender foot but I want to ride some knew things.
Have you ridden railroad grade? Depends what level of riding you want to do. RR Grade is a good beginner/intermediate fireroad - 10% uphill grade. Don't know milage. I start it from Mountain Home Inn above Mill Valley - about 950'. Ride goes up past West Side Inn - which is really cool place to stop for byo lunch, or on first Saturday morning of month (I think - check sched) pancake breakfast. Great city/bay/ocen views. Then ride on up to summit of Mt Tam (~2300'). Water at both places, so you don't really need to carry more than a bottle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey,
Lots of great legal trails on or around Mt.Tam.
1. Miwok/Old springs trail @ Tennessee vly.
2. Coast view/Deer park @ Pantoll ranger station.
3. Olema valley trail/Wildcat beach @ Dogtown
4. Inverness ridge trail/Estero @ Mt. Vision.
5. China camp.
6. Tamarancho {with day-pass}

To name a few, they should keep you busy for a while.........

peace,
G.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
baycat said:
A possible route.

Sounds epic. Any estimate how long a ride that is?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.