Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode Mt Tam yesterday. Park at the depot, up Railroad Grade to the top, then Eldridge to Blithedale down.

We hit the trail at 1130 and made it to the snow line without a drop of rain. Then it started snowing lightly. Riding while snowing is WAY better than riding while raining. Just past the West Point Inn, the trail became 100% covered, sans ribbons of tire tracks. The ribbons made it possible to keep spinning. I had to walk 4 or 5 times for 100 feet which soaked my feet, but we could at least summit.

Then we put on rain jackets and proceeded down. Our toes froze from the water kick up off the trail. It was the first time I simply wanted off the mountain instead of cranking down it.

Every 2-3 mph of more speed translated into more stinging in the toes. Strange how a just a little more wind can affect frozen toes. If I had my Seal Skinz, I would prolly would have had no problems....damn.

What a great adventure. We saw a handful of bikers and nice hikers. Everyone was like children in the snow.

You say no way, I say snow way.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This Ibis pics are great. You captured some serious drift shots.

so, this hiker dude says, 'I am gonna take an action shot."

I say "Sure"

"I got it. I will post it to the news."

Sure enough, Channel 7 news showed the action shot. haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
More Snow Pix

My excuse was not wanting to trash my new drive train, so I hiked in from BoFax Rd / Ridgecrest Intersection -- to East Peak & back -10-12 Miles (approx?)

Some hi-lights:

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Flock me!

Fairfaxian said:
My excuse was not wanting to trash my new drive train, so I hiked in from BoFax Rd / Ridgecrest Intersection -- to East Peak & back

Looks like 6" up at East Peak lookout. Crazy.

Thanks for the pix.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I rode up Eldridge and down Rock Springs today. Lots of snow and people at the top. Good thing they closed the road or it would have been really crazy. Rock Springs had a bunch of downed trees.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,357 Posts
Fairfaxian,

You can see the Farralons (sp?). Sweet pics, Hoolie (Marin kid living in O-town)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Any chance that there might be some snow left this afternoon? I couldn't get out to Tam this weekend, but I'm thinking of taking the afternoon off from work.

·
Registered
417 Posts
BitterDave said:
Any chance that there might be some snow left this afternoon? I couldn't get out to Tam this weekend, but I'm thinking of taking the afternoon off from work.
Likely. I'm currently looking at some large white patches on the north side of the mountain (from down in San Anselmo). Unless is really heats up, there's bound to be at least some isolated patches to frolic in...

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
BitterDave said:
I've spoken to two friends today who were up on Tam, there's definitely still snow up there.

The NWS is calling for snow down to 1000' and maybe even sea level this weekend - anyone have a Surly Pugsley I can borrow?!? :thumbsup:

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
1k feet you say?

Piranha426 said:
I've spoken to two friends today who were up on Tam, there's definitely still snow up there.

The NWS is calling for snow down to 1000' and maybe even sea level this weekend - anyone have a Surly Pugsley I can borrow?!? :thumbsup:
Sea level? yikes :eekster:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sweet, time to break out the snow gear!

I rode up Eldridge to the East Peak of Tam today in the late afternoon. Only saw some patches of snow on the trail, nothing substantial. Next time, need warmer shoes.

It's a good thing that I have 150mm of front travel and a headlamp, because I stayed a little too long at the top taking pictures. Ended up riding back in the dark and managed to hit every large rock on the way down.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Could be a Repeat come the weekend

BitterDave said:
Sweet, time to break out the snow gear!

I rode up Eldridge to the East Peak of Tam today in the late afternoon. Only saw some patches of snow on the trail, nothing substantial. Next time, need warmer shoes.

It's a good thing that I have 150mm of front travel and a headlamp, because I stayed a little too long at the top taking pictures. Ended up riding back in the dark and managed to hit every large rock on the way down.
From a couple years ago compliments of johnnyb.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
JMac47 said:
From a couple years ago compliments of johnnyb.:thumbsup:
Wow, that photo goes way back (late nineties?). Seems like every La Niña there's snow up on Tam.

Here's one from Monday, there was just a little at the top. Can't wait for this Saturday.

Should be a great photo op day!

Attachments

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Heading out Saturday to hopefully experience the snow on Tam. Will make sure I have plenty of provisions (canned Stout beer).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts