Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gearz (WA forum) and I rode an out and back to Mt. Margaret, which was pretty directly in the blast of St. Helens. The ride is on one of a few trails open to bikes on that side of the mountain. It's a little sketchy in places, some hike-a-bike (as always), and awesome views of the area.

Logging equipment carnage.

gearz approaching one of several "passes" we crossed.

St. Helens Lake below. Mt. Margaret just right of center with the snowpatches.

On Mt. Margaret.

Looking back from Mt. Margaret. The snow patch directly above the lake is a pass we crossed.

gearz coming down from the top of Margaret.

The sleeping giant waits.

An awesome ride, I'll be back.

Monte

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Psycho Mike said:
sheesh, has it already been 26 years?
Yeah, damn that makes me feel old. I was in college. We had an especially amazing sunset over Pikes Peak that day.

Nice pics Monte. I'd love to get up there for myself some day.....

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
fsdmusic said:
wow thats awesome to see the blown over trees from the blast after 26 years, I remember KFC in Salt Lake City, Utah giving out little bottles of ash as souveniers after the blast totally weird.
i used to have one of those little bottle of ash. my dad brought it back for me from a business trip he took to Seattle (i think) several months after the blast. i remember being surprised that the ash was kind of green-ish in color.

wonder what ever happened to that little bottle....hmmmm.

rt

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is some great photos you have and I didn't know that there were trails near the mountain. Its nice to see that the area around the blast zone is green with a few small trees growing. The ecosystem is getting stronger and flourishing then. I've been close to the mountain and I also got some ash, but I'm not sure what ever happened to it. Happy Riding!! :)

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I too was facinated by that volcano, and want to visit badly.

Friends in Seattle just got word that they've got a permit to hike it in September. And I can't make it!!

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Amazing...

Those are some amazing images. The downed trees make you think how powerful that blast was. I'd love to visit that area one day. Thanks for sharing.

·
members only
338 Posts
Cool shots, I've heard they just started letting climbing on the backside again.
Was there last month on a family vacation, didn't bring the bike tho ;(
One of the pic's I took;

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Wouldn't the owners of the logging equipment be responsible for removing their litter ?

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
cool ride.
Hiked and skied st. helens when they first started to issue permits back in 85(?). Looked over the edge towards your ride, amazing site to see. I have to try and scan a couple of my old slides from that trip and add them to this post.

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
934 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .........................

·
Registered
81 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
Wouldn't the owners of the logging equipment be responsible for removing their litter ?
I'd say they're probably out of business. It's not like it hurts anything, probably "habitat" for a few rodents by now anyway.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
the interesting thing

*rt* said:
i used to have one of those little bottle of ash. my dad brought it back for me from a business trip he took to Seattle (i think) several months after the blast. i remember being surprised that the ash was kind of green-ish in color.

wonder what ever happened to that little bottle....hmmmm.

rt
is that those of us near Seattle (I grew up just south of Tacoma and was there on 5-18-80) didn't really get the full extent of the ash. We got a light dusting but it wasn't nearly as bad as those of you further east.

I was back in Seattle for a visit in 1999 and I took my wife to St. Helens. IT was impressive then, as it is now, to say the least.

YR

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
That thing blew 3 years before I was born, but I've always been awed by that site. I must have hiked there a hundred times growing up, living in Tacoma helps since its only about 50 miles away. I'll have to hit that trail up next time I get on the west side! Awesome pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a bottle of ash as described - my mother recently moved and she had a box of stuff from when I was a kid - it was in there. There were also 3 35mm film canisters full of ash that my uncle in Helena Montana scraped off his car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.