Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about travelling to do this race in July. Im no expert or anything, racing sport. However I was hoping those who raced there last yr could give me some insight into a few things;

1-How many folks show up for the sport races? im in the 30+ class and the results show only about 10-14 racers? Do they just not list every rider?

2-Also, what is the course like as far as climbing and terrain? What tires would you think are best? Ive heard its pretty rocky and rooty? I live in the West so we have a lot of climbing so id be used to that but how much of this race is long sustained climbs or short punchy climbs.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Before you make your travel plans...check the qualifying info on the USA Cycling site or talk to your local official.

As far as the course...it is very rocky and rooty. The woods stay wet slippery and muddy even during dry time...and if it rains....

there is plenty of climbing...but very different from west coast style.

You might want to practice running a little too.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
There are usually a few more people in the groups than at a local race.

The course is fun, but abusive. It's not stupid technical, it's all very much rideable. But, there is a consistent amount of mainly roots, less rocks. The roots, as "the mayor" said are always slick. There will probably be mud, even if there is a drought. The laps are around 5 miles. You start off on flat, wide open hard pack gravel / dirt and climb a short bit into single track, then back onto the hard pack down the hill into a high speed un-bermed corner (pretty sketchy if you're in a tight pack) and begin climbing rougher (rocks) hard pack, into single track. After that, it's off and on uphill fireroad / single track. You don't get to the summit, but there is still a good amount of climbing. A few climbs can get steep (granny gear.) The decent is very technical single track. There are some high speed hard pack sections (and a few un-anticipated turns.) You pump you're bike back down through the start / finish and go on for another lap.

Very painful, but there is a pretty sweet view if you're not crying, throwing you're guts out or any of that other stuff.

There is a great video of the 2005 race, I'll try and find it............and here it is http://www.kmtb.com/bbs/zboard.php?...on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=7 -----You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went out on my first lap at about 35 lbs. and felt like I was getting bounced around in the rooty sections. which is pretty much most of the course. But I also talked to the guy who won the expert 25-30 cat and he ran something crazy like 55 lbs. Your tires should also have good sidewall protection.

As far as the class sizes go, I think the Sport race was on Friday, so it might not be worth it for a lot of sport riders in the region to play hooky for Nats, even though it's really a great event. The age categories are also divided up in 5-year increments to keep the class sizes smaller.

Bottom line, it's a nice venue. It's a bit of a circus, in a good way. Spectating the pro race on Sunday is also highly recommended. This year, there's also another NMBS race the weekend before nearby in Windham, NY. So if you have the days to spare, you can do two national events in two weekends. And you can shoot up to the Northeast Kingdom in between and hot some choice singletrack.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I have never been there. However, talking to people who have been there make sure you bring your technical skills. The course is a big climb with a long technical descent.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The field sizes are pretty small these days.

When I was racing a lot back in the 90's, most classes had over 100 people.It was mayhem as you were constantly in traffic.There was over 3000 racers there in 96, if I remember right....not to mention the couple of hundred at the infamous naked crit. Do they still have that?

I quit racing mtb's in 99...and went back last year to spectate. Most classes had about 20 people.But there was still plenty of traffic in the woods.

I rode up there a few weeks ago....looks like they are going to change a few things on the course. it will still be tough.

If you do go...I'd plan a few days up there. Vermont is about as lush and green as it gets in the summer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info- I am planning this co-inciding with my vacation. ive heard the venue is great. To bad they dont make all the races on the weekend so more folks could get there. Regardless of class size any day racing is a good day..

If anyone that is closer has more updates on the course please post away. Thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You'll have fun up there.

I actually think it's better now without the crowds. You'd pull into town and there'd be traffic jams, long lines at every food joint, etc. I pulled into town last year and was wondering if I had picked the wrong date..the center was a ghost town, and even at the mountain, I parked about a 2 minute walk to the start , where you used to have to walk about 15 minutes.

Check on rates on rooms at the venue...you can sometimes get a deal. Or get a hotel on the outskirts of Wilmington...it's not bad now but you'd want to be away from the center of the village when it was busy.

Practice riding wet rocks and roots and running...watch the video above...the dark woods stuff ( about 1/2 the course) is slow and pick-your-way-thru stuff that is sometimes faster to run. Henry Kramer ran a big rocky downhill every lap and was faster than almost everyone and won the 50+ Nat'l Championship

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't ridden WTBs in a looong time but looking at their site, I would stay away from the hardpack tires and go with the Raijin for a nice, light XC race tire. The Prowler also looks like it would do well at Snow and even though it's not listed as a race tire, it's not too hefty for race conditions.

The vid really reminds me of how great it was to spectate the pro race. You need head up into the mountains for the best spot. There was part of the course where you can watch them go up a really tough techy section and then walk about 20 feet over and watch a super techy downhill section. There were a few hundred people there last year in the middle of the woods. On the uphill section, people were hooting for them to clear the tech sections ... not easy. Only a few guys did and when they did the crowd went absolutely berzerk. On the downhill section, one spectator at the top would call out the race numbers of guys as they came by. Another guy further down had the race roster and would call out the guy's name to the rest of the crowd so that by the time the rider came through, the whole crowd cheered him on by his first name. I can only imagine how cool that must have been for the racers. Altogether a great day of racing and watching. W don't get too many national races here on the East Coast. So it's the crowd really appreciates it to see the heavy hitters battle it out with the rocks and roots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dang lucky

i widh i could go, i won the race that gets invited to it but i cant afford to go all the way there from nevada, well good job for making it and qualifying!!!

is it during downieville??
if not does anyone wana but me a plane ticket hahahaaha:):thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Crowds are not huge, but bring your own bananas - everyone hammered the local markets.

My experience last year told me that:
1- pre-riding the long descent at least 3x prior to racing is critical to good course knowledge and anticipating turns. There are some sections with "one line", but around a blind turn, so you enter the turn thinking stay right, and get there and want to be left, but there is a rain wash with babyhead rocks down the middle. I pre-rode 1 full lap the day before (it p*ssed rain that day) and had a super slow first lap and mediocre 2nd lap. Pre-riding would've improved that. Crashing very early on while in 3rd and getting back on my bike in 30th destroyed my motivation though.
2 - the roots have a highly advanced self-irrigation system. It's a really unique ecosystem at Mt Snow. The roots are always slimy and bordered with rock. The descent requires some speed b/c you will slip out going slow (6in scar on my forearm to prove that)
3 - climbing can be long and slow if it's muddy, so do some big-gear climbing to train muscle resistence. I'm starting to do climbs one ring or two cogs bigger than I would race to get ready.
4 - check your bike THOROUGLY pre-warm up, post warm-up and race morning. I had some bolts come loose and found help from one of the pro team's mechanics. Safety first.
5 - do some 5k runs uphill. Certain sections just can't be ridden and are slightly steep and technical. You will redline hiking during the race very early on, so try to get used to that. The hike a bike was about 1.5mi into the race, and then you get out and climb for 10-20min.

I'm looking to redeem myself this year (23 of ~28 last year in sport 35's). It's a hard course; there will be a ton "character building" that day whether you like it or not. Don't get discouraged, it will suck for everyone. I rode the 2nd lap with a guy from TX, who was my height, but like 215lbs. He was saying he was regretting travelling b/c they "don't have hills like this in TX" and he was back with me where he had won a few races back home. I talked to him after and he felt pretty good about toughing it out. Stick it out because both your competitors and/or their machines will explode all over the race course, all day. Stay in and fight it out. My first race ever was Mt Snow and it was my only DNF. I had to finish last year, which I did, even though I was back in the cheap seats. I'm really glad I did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
LAMB4920 said:
Has anyone done the NY national that's gonna be going on a week before nat. champs?

Any course info on it?
It's not a normal race for any of the local series around here so you won't find too much info about it other than someone who might hit it up as a rec ride.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.