Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while I'm still in decent shape I need to start knocking off some of my bucket list rides.

I was thinking of riding Mt. Ord this coming Friday morning.

I'm pretty sure it is paved, but I'm not positive. Is this correct?

I'm also pretty sure this ride is done on mountain bikes, but I"m not positive about that either.

Also, how does it compare to climbing Humboldt Peak in terms of steepness and length. Humboldt was the bucket list ride I did last week. It weren't pretty.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help.

·
Meatbomb
7,102 Posts
I'd never ride it on my MTB but have been up many times on my Dirt Bike. Not paved. I always go up from the bottom of Slate Creek hill, not the top so I can't vouch for that route.

I'd skip it.

·
dirt visionary
6,502 Posts
As mentioned not paved at all. Also not always in good shape either. Mt. Lemmon and mt graham are paved to the top.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I rode Mt Ord a couple of years ago. Nice to ride to the top of something I had driven past 1000 times. Amazing views from the top. If you can arrange a car shuttle, ride up the modern road and down the old road. If you are looking for max challenge, start at the bottom of Slate Creek Canyon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize there was more than one way up.

When I drive to Payson I see a pullout with a sign that says "Mt. Ord".

When I look to my right I'm pretty sure I see a gated paved road.

I was planning on heading up that road.

Is this the modern road?

Is this even the correct way to go?

About how long and steep is this route?

Thanks.

·
Meatbomb
7,102 Posts
"This hike begins at the bottom of Slate Creek"

I don't see how this can be fun. It's a tough climb on my dirt bike.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
i love these replies about how its not fun and to not do it... where the whiskey 50 is a harder ride, but folks pay over 100 dollars to do it... and somehow that is consider a wise decision...

·
Registered
392 Posts
myt1,

Could this be the route you were looking at when you mentioned the gate and the paved road you saw?

https://www.strava.com/segments/839184

I'm not certain that this one is paved but I think it is. Not as tough as what RC44 listed but still looks like a big grind to me.

DC

·
Registered
837 Posts
The entry closest to phx is paved a very short distance then turns into a dirt road, not trail, to the top. Mt ord. Has pine trees on top. Be prepared to suffer it is steep and you climb pretty much the whole way. Be careful decending it can be loose with rocks and you can build a lot of speed.

·
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you are going to do it, do it right:
https://jzadventuretime.blogspot.com/2016/03/mount-ordeal.html

On the plus side the Gold Ridge trail has been trimmed back - so no longer choked with bushes. And, yes, go to the top - rad views. Of course this was Schilling's idea.

View attachment 1248468
Word. Goldridge is in likely as good of shape as it can possibly be in, short of three downed trees. Oh and the steep fall line downhill HAB that you'll get on the way down to deer creek TH. But, that's the price to pay...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
myt1,

Could this be the route you were looking at when you mentioned the gate and the paved road you saw?

https://www.strava.com/segments/839184

I'm not certain that this one is paved but I think it is. Not as tough as what RC44 listed but still looks like a big grind to me.

DC
This looks like it might be the more normal way to do it.

I notice that some of the riders that have been kicking my butt in the MBAA marathon races have their names on that Strava list.

If it is good enough for them I think I will give it a try.

·
dirt visionary
6,502 Posts
Ah goldridge! love that trail a long time ago myself and some other put a ton of work into clearing it and trying to put it on the radar. Once out of the pines it was always an over grown mess the manzinita grows like a weed. However it is the closest 3000ft decent to the valley. It is also the only decending trail off mt peely that is outside the wilderness boundry. Its been along time since I have ridden it and think I have only ridden it twice since the last fire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts