Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
livin' the dream......
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was discussed a bit about a year ago, but never read if anyone rode the Mt. Ord road.

I flew in this morning from Denver, and had the window seat (bonus!) We flew right over Mt. Ord and I could see 95% of the road from the Bee Line up to the towers in onew view. Is the road open to ride? Looks like a challenging climb.

It was cool to fly over MMRP and the MSP. I could make out the Pemberton Fire Road, Bluff, etc. East End and Bell Pass looked as steep from the air as it does on the ground. Nice to get the birds eye view once in a while.:thumbsup:

Who's done Mt. Ord?

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
yes you can ride the road. I think Paul has done it .

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
The old road up the backside (north side) of Mt. Ord is more AM with lots of ruts and rocks. It's been many years since I've ridden it but it sure was a hoot back in the 90s! The old road hooks up with the newer road to the top and offers a total of 4000' climbing in 7.5 miles. Give it a try and then give us a report!

Here's the starting point for the old road:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...09,-111.399736&spn=0.006906,0.011973&t=h&z=17

Just pull off of 87 after a long DH if you are coming from the south. To get back on 87 when you are done, drive the dirt road alongside 87 just a bit and you you'll find you can drive under 87 to get pointed south.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Yup, used to hit Ord ALL THE TIME once upon a time. Nice training ride. The old road is pretty rugged; the new one, not so much. Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Paul B said:
Yup, used to hit Ord ALL THE TIME once upon a time. Nice training ride. The old road is pretty rugged; the new one, not so much. Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.
is there a water source up there? bikepacking acceptable?

·
oooh, shiny...
450 Posts
Paul B said:
... Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.
I was up there a few years ago. The ranger at the time was just a dick. He wouldn't let us up to the top and just seemed annoyed that we were there at all. :prft:
Maybe next time.

·
livin' the dream......
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the links, and info. Definitly on my list, and I will post up a ride report after I do it.

·
livin' the dream......
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a cool website!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts