Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WOW! Thanks bikerhiker! What a great ride!
You owed me for Pyramid and Duncan, right? ;)

A year ago Bikerhiker posted this thread https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=113918&highlight=boundary+trail. It looked like a great ride and I looked forward to doing it. Like most good rides, you won't find it in any guidebook.

Fast forward to yesterday. Monte and I drove up the west side of Mt. St. Helens via Highway 504 to South Coldwater Trailhead just past Coldwater Lake. The TH is only 150 miles from Seattle. 2.5 hours. No pass of any kind required to park at this Trailhead. :thumbsup:

The ride is an out and back to the top of Mt. Margaret via trails 230A, 230 and 1. None of the other trails in the area are open to bikes so this is pretty much all you can do in the area. But let me tell you, this ride is worthy!

Here's the map Green Trails # 332 Spirit Lake

Trail 230A climbs up through an area that was being clearcut at the time of the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens. This loader was blown off a bluff by the blast and tumbled down the hillside where it sits today.. Don't mess with mother nature!

On Coldwater Trail 230 climbing.....

Traversing below Coldwater Peak. Typical trail section for the ride is narrow, off camber and techy. Awesome trail riding! This ride is NOT for newbies...

Mt. Margaret just left of center with St. Helens Lake below from the junction of Trail 230 and Trail 1. The route from here to Margaret traverses up high just below the ridgecrest past the Dome (left of Margaret) . Extremely spectacular trail.

Lunch stop. Mt. St. Helens and Spirit Lake are the backdrop. Nice post to rest the bike...

Mt. Adams above Juniper Ridge above logging moonscape above Monte... From the summit we could see five volcanos. Fire and Ice!

Monte just below the summit of Mt. Margaret. View back at the Dome, Coldwater Peak and St. Helens Lake.

On the way back, setting up for a steep right-hander that we both cleaned... Scenery overload!!!!!! Concentrate!

JRA.....

This entire ride is in the blast zone of the May 18, 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption. Those trees didn't just fall over...

Cruising back on Trail 230. The trees on Minnie Peak in the background were blown uphill by the blast.

The final descent down 230A is ludicrous speed! Really sweet way to finish the ride... Coldwater Lake below.....

We were blown away by the quality of this ride. It is easily one of the most continuous car to car in your face amazing scenery / alpine terrain / techy trail rides I've ever done. No sh8t! An annual event for sure!

19.5 miles / 4500' climbing (only 700' on the way back) / 50,000 jaw dropping moments

You gotta check it out! :band:

Thanks again bikerhiker! :rockon:

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Looks like another "must do" ride for me. Thanks again for posting reports of great rides. You have pushed the door a little furthur open for me and my riding pursuits. Esmeralda was really nice this weekend!

·
Registered
225 Posts
wow, that looks like an amazing ride

·
Registered
415 Posts
dlbennett said:
Looks like another "must do" ride for me. Thanks again for posting reports of great rides. You have pushed the door a little furthur open for me and my riding pursuits. Esmeralda was really nice this weekend!
Just say the word Dennis! I'm in (unless 3 is a crowd :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Wow what a gem! That ride looks like a 5 star for sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
gearz said:
20 miles / 4500' climbing (only 700' on the way back) / 50,000 jaw dropping moments

You gotta check it out!
Hmmm, i just might follow your suggestion. How long did it take two of you to do the out-'n-back? I figure adding a couple of hours onto your time will give me a good idea as to how long it would take me to do the same ride ;)

BTW, thanks for the correction on my photo captions. Shame on me to not check all the facts! :madman:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Oh, pooo. And, I thought the virgin trip to Seymour and Fromme this weekend were pretty cool.....

Add another one to the list.:thumbsup:

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
gearz & Monte, thanks for sharing. I've spent some time around Mt. St. Helens. It's quite a monster of a landform and the surrounding mountains are no less spectacular.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Bruiser said:
How long did it take two of you to do the out-'n-back?
We were out about 7 1/2 hours. Most of the time was for the "out", with breaks it was just over 5 hours. There's a fair bit of walking, but it's mostly small sections at a time because of the off camber sketch trail. gearz called it "techy", I'm going to call it sketchy, there are lots of places you could go down the sidehill if you slipped. It's a climb all the way to the summit, with some small downs on the way, 8 plus miles.

The descent was awesome, way more rideable than I thought it was going to be. If someone has a hard time on loose off camber it'll take a little bit longer getting down because there'll be a little more walking. We were less than 2 1/2 hours getting down. It's over way too fast.

Monte

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bruiser said:
Hmmm, i just might follow your suggestion. How long did it take two of you to do the out-'n-back? I figure adding a couple of hours onto your time will give me a good idea as to how long it would take me to do the same ride ;)

BTW, thanks for the correction on my photo captions. Shame on me to not check all the facts! :madman:
You could do the ride in 5 hours--3 out and 2 back if you didn't stop every 10 minutes for pictures like we did.... I would say allow 7 hours with plenty of stops.

Can you find Monte? He's lost in the picture somewhere....

Yea I couldn't help myself with those photo captions. Hope you didn't mind but it was so easy to comment.... I enjoy your reports. :thumbsup:

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skookum said:
Wow what a gem! That ride looks like a 5 star for sure.
It is. So is Icicle Ridge.

Discuss.

Where is the Icicle Ridge TR? How did the new tennis shoes work out? What did you think of the DH? Top 5?

Inquiring minds need to know....

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
yO kING !

3 is not a crowd at all, 5 is cool too. If it gets up to 32, we may have to cut back. Sounds like a great ride too!
slomoking said:
Just say the word Dennis! I'm in (unless 3 is a crowd :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
gearz said:
It is. So is Icicle Ridge.

Discuss.

Where is the Icicle Ridge TR? How did the new tennis shoes work out? What did you think of the DH? Top 5?

Inquiring minds need to know....
i had a good time and it was good riding, but honestly it's a bit much on both ends of the spectrum. i didn't do the tennis shoe thing i just wore some lighter clipless shoes haha. The climb up 4th of July is taxing, ardous, and suck to the fourth power. i will give a bottom five all time to the 4th of July, that trail could make someone want to quit biking...
Up top the views were very nice, but honestly the burnt landscape overall gives such a barren feel still, even though new growth is evident. But there are sections of burn and rockscapes that are very nice. i think as more new growth creeps in this will change, i imagine a return here in 5 to 10 years is what it will take.
The DH would be super awesome but i didn't have the strength left from the climb to ride as comfortably and confident as i like to. That coupled with the sheer decadent length of the descent made the brakes fade, my arms lost strength, and i grew weaker on the descent. i suppose only taking one break on the way down didn't help on that.
The trail overall wasn't all that, there are some sucky washy corners, some rutted junk and the trail is a tad hard to pick up at times. Pick a bad line and you're stopped, and in many section closer to the top doing that is pretty easy. But the positives are there, the sheer length is a joy, the gnar rock/root dh, the end where the sweeping switchbacks allow you a view of Leavenworth as it gives you sense of landing from the sky, as you meander down the benched ridge.
So more is not better in my book, but it still stands alone as a challenge and a trail i will return to ride. But not every year, it'll take a few years for me to forget how lame that hike a bike up was. :)

Borneo said:
Oh, pooo. And, I thought the virgin trip to Seymour and Fromme this weekend were pretty cool.....
The Shore is so passe....:p

Was Canada good to you?

Back to this ride....
Y'know the awesome thing about this ride is that it affords a spectacular view of the smouldering crater of St. Helens. You don't really get that with the Plains, that alone makes me want to get out there, i'd actually love to photograph in that area as well as ride there. Inspiring.:)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
gearz said:
WOW! Thanks bikerhiker! What a great ride!
Indeed.

More logging equipment carnage.

gearz approaching one of several "passes" we crossed.

St. Helens Lake below. Mt. Margaret just right of center with the snowpatches.

On Mt. Margaret.

Looking back from Mt. Margaret. The snow patch directly above the lake is a pass we crossed.

gearz coming down from the top of Margaret.

Coming down below The Dome just after "the switchback".

An awesome ride indeed, I'll be back.

Monte

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Skookum said:
i had a good time and it was good riding, but honestly it's a bit much on both ends of the spectrum. i didn't do the tennis shoe thing i just wore some lighter clipless shoes haha. The climb up 4th of July is taxing, ardous, and suck to the fourth power. i will give a bottom five all time to the 4th of July, that trail could make someone want to quit biking...
Up top the views were very nice, but honestly the burnt landscape overall gives such a barren feel still, even though new growth is evident. But there are sections of burn and rockscapes that are very nice. i think as more new growth creeps in this will change, i imagine a return here in 5 to 10 years is what it will take.
The DH would be super awesome but i didn't have the strength left from the climb to ride as comfortably and confident as i like to. That coupled with the sheer decadent length of the descent made the brakes fade, my arms lost strength, and i grew weaker on the descent. i suppose only taking one break on the way down didn't help on that.
The trail overall wasn't all that, there are some sucky washy corners, some rutted junk and the trail is a tad hard to pick up at times. Pick a bad line and you're stopped, and in many section closer to the top doing that is pretty easy. But the positives are there, the sheer length is a joy, the gnar rock/root dh, the end where the sweeping switchbacks allow you a view of Leavenworth as it gives you sense of landing from the sky, as you meander down the benched ridge.
So more is not better in my book, but it still stands alone as a challenge and a trail i will return to ride. But not every year, it'll take a few years for me to forget how lame that hike a bike up was. :)

Back to this ride....
Y'know the awesome thing about this ride is that it affords a spectacular view of the smouldering crater of St. Helens. You don't really get that with the Plains, that alone makes me want to get out there, i'd actually love to photograph in that area as well as ride there. Inspiring.:)
So your sayin' it's not "Top 5" i guess...:lol: The first time up 4th of July is the worst; you have no idea when it will end. Kind of funny that Pinchflat did the ride twice in 2 weeks, to each his own. He loves that ride.... :eek:ut: So do I. I'll probably do it again this fall just before the snow...

The Mt. Margaret ride is so worthy it's kind of spooky. :shocked:

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're right. I did owe you. Pyramid peak and duncan were awesome, just a bit of a drive for me. I road to mt margret and back again last fall and have an even higher opinion of the trail. BTW, trail is open past margret to norway pass etc. Wanted to ride further but it would be a big day if you road all the way to the other road and back.
Thanks for the post. I may hit it this weekend. Only 1.5 hrs from portland.

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikerhiker said:
You're right. I did owe you. Pyramid peak and duncan were awesome, just a bit of a drive for me. I road to mt margret and back again last fall and have an even higher opinion of the trail. BTW, trail is open past margret to norway pass etc. Wanted to ride further but it would be a big day if you road all the way to the other road and back.
Thanks for the post. I may hit it this weekend. Only 1.5 hrs from portland.
Oh yea we really enjoyed this ride. After reading your post last year it sure looked like a cool ride and I was just waiting for the right time to do it. Yes I knew Trail # 1 is open to bikes past Margaret. How about riding the entire 60 miles of Boundary Trail # 1 to Council Lake in a day? That would be a bi*ch of a shuttle but...:idea:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts