Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a ride down Samaniego Ridge but I am unsure of access beyond Ski Valley.

If someone has knowledge of the access situation up there:

A) Can I get to the summit area with a mounatin bike (ride/hike/drive)

B)snow/ice condition at the summit

I would greatly appreciate any info.

Louis

· Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Access

Good for you. Samaneigo continues to mock us and begs another attempt.

I have not been up there recently, but I'll bet the gate is still closed. "Road Closed" only applies to cars, though. It's national forest land, so hop it and ride to the top.

Tough call on the snow/ice. A week ago the upper slopes (above 7-8k) definitely had snow , but with these warm temps it cannot last long. What's your thought on a date for the attempt?

Do let us know how it goes...

· caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Krein said:
Good for you. Samaneigo continues to mock us and begs another attempt.

I have not been up there recently, but I'll bet the gate is still closed. "Road Closed" only applies to cars, though. It's national forest land, so hop it and ride to the top.

Tough call on the snow/ice. A week ago the upper slopes (above 7-8k) definitely had snow , but with these warm temps it cannot last long. What's your thought on a date for the attempt?

Do let us know how it goes...
Operation Imminent Stupidity is tentatively scheduled for this weekend. It will not be an end to end traverse of the ridge. So the adventure of traversing Sammie will still beacon like an unsatisfied siren, her song is seductive.

Louis

· Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Are you going to descend the ridge before the catwalk? What's the plan with that, to try and convince the FS to build a trail down it? Would be very nice...

Bring your chaps. <grin>

BTW, we linked up to the Walnut Canyon stuff on our route. I haven't been on the old mining road and ensuing singletrack, but we'll do that on the big ride. Thanks for the encouragement to pursue it.

The best way to get there is to ride the Ripsey Wash AZ trail, which was far closer to completion that I had previously thought. In fact, it has some of the best riding (narrow backcountry singletrack with dozens of switchbacks) I've seen on the AZT.

It drops you to the Gila River right near Kelvin, so very far east. We investigated crossing the river on the railroad bridge then bushwacking towards Walnut but it is just too rough. We'll ride the 7 miles of pavement to Battle Axe RD instead. Eventually they will build trail from the railroad bridge up and it will all be open to bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.