Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reasonable is it for an out of shape, overweight, 28 year old with the wrong bike to race in this series and enjoy himself? I was thinking of going up to the FTF race and popping my racing cherry, but I just didn't have much of an idea of what to expect. If anybody has any advice or commentary I would appreciate it. Also, has the venue for this event been set, and can somebody give me an idea what these courses are like. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
shiggy said:
The Bridle Trail course can be ridden on a rigid XC bike. I do not know the other course.

A call to Ski Bowl would be best to check on which course they are using.
Ski Bowl has some pretty gnarly lift-service DH trails, that's where the DH racing is. I haven't ridden the lift-service up there in a long time but I'm sure they will have a couple different courses and a beginner course won't require a big DH bike just to get down.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
The race should be a piece of cake. The Bridal Trail is really fun. It's definately a pedalers course though, not a full blown gnarly, 8 inches front and rear highspeed course. I bet the guys on 5 inch trailbikes will be better suited to the course. Same goes for the Dog River Trail, although I think there might be some small drops in it, even some uphill pedaling.

You should do it! It'll be my first race too. You don't have to win, just go as fast as you can. The everyone races on the same course. So it can't be that gnarly.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Excellent!

Hey y'all
I too am a beginner at the DH races and although I like to go fast down the hills I have never competed in an actual race. I live down in Eugene so we should all meet up for these races and have some support as a somewhat "small beginner group from Oregon" :p
Maybe the Shigg Man could give us some pointers on the high speed corners and fun drops!

Boone

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Brandon said:
Ski Bowl has some pretty gnarly lift-service DH trails, that's where the DH racing is. I haven't ridden the lift-service up there in a long time but I'm sure they will have a couple different courses and a beginner course won't require a big DH bike just to get down.
The first "Ski Bowl" DH is not held at Ski Bowl.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
boone said:
Hey y'all
I too am a beginner at the DH races and although I like to go fast down the hills I have never competed in an actual race. I live down in Eugene so we should all meet up for these races and have some support as a somewhat "small beginner group from Oregon" :p
Maybe the Shigg Man could give us some pointers on the high speed corners and fun drops!

Boone
High-speed corners, maybe.

Drops, I am still learning myself.

Here is one pointer:
Do not crash. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Confused Newbie As Well

I just went to the website and now they mention nothing about either the Pioneer Bridle Trail or the Dog River Trail, but that it could be at Ski Bowl, either upper and/or lower. So I guess for now it could be at all 3 until a final decision is made? Are either of those trails within the Skibowl area?

www.skibowl.com/winter/bikeseries.html

I guess just check back periodically...either way sounds like fun.

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize that this was on Mother's Day. Call me what you will but, I don't think missing Mother's Day this year would be in my best interest. Hopefully someone can fill me in on the action and maybe I can make it to the next race. I am really curious about the beginners class for my age and the course. Good luck guys!

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
ooooo

good thing my ma is 3500 miles away!
Thanks for the heads up :D
Will let you know how it goes...

Boone

PS: If anyone is interested in reading more about downhill racing (not sure how much reading about this stuff can help but...), go-ride.com has a lot of helpful stuff on their web site :)

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
I just went to the website and now they mention nothing about either the Pioneer Bridle Trail or the Dog River Trail, but that it could be at Ski Bowl, either upper and/or lower. So I guess for now it could be at all 3 until a final decision is made? Are either of those trails within the Skibowl area?

www.skibowl.com/winter/bikeseries.html

I guess just check back periodically...either way sounds like fun.
This is a more informative website:

http://www.obra.org/flyers/2005/spring_fling.html

·
Registered
850 Posts
info. : https://www.skibowl.com/winter/bikeseries.html and [email protected]

after talking to oregon racers at spokane im very excited about the new expert course at hood. Should be punishing. The Ski bowl trails are tough, but they do cater to sport/beginners as well. The first race is the only one that will be on the bridal trail since hood got a late dump of snow.....

im out for this one, but plan to attend most the others...

my race digs. say hey if ya see me.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.