Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I rode lower White Ranch this morning

It was cold so I hit the trails at 10. No mud, frozen and not too much ice. I rode Belcher up to Long Horn, then Short Horn across, down Long Horn, up Whipple Tree and back down Belcher. It was great, all ridable if you have the legs and lungs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
bedell99 said:
Wow I wouldn't thinking the "horns" would be snow free. That is great. I will be out there riding soon. Thanks for the update.

I wonder if Falcon is ridable than.

Erik
Nothing in Golden is "legit" rideable. As folks have noted, it is only OK if you hit it while it is still frozen early in the morning. I was really annoyed when I drove past Chimney on Sunday at 2 p.m. and some guy was pedaling out of the parking lot. Folks, the Golden trails are not open for business and won't be for probably several weeks or even months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
re: Golden "legit" ridable

When I rode the lower part of White Ranch yesterday it was all frozen. I will not ride when it is muddy. All the frozen tracks I saw were from horses and hikers/runners, no bike tracks, and as far as I could see they make way more damage that any biker did.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Reporterkyle said:
Nothing in Golden is "legit" rideable. As folks have noted, it is only OK if you hit it while it is still frozen early in the morning. I was really annoyed when I drove past Chimney on Sunday at 2 p.m. and some guy was pedaling out of the parking lot. Folks, the Golden trails are not open for business and won't be for probably several weeks or even months.
This is the truth...it is just taking a while to melt. If you want dry trail the only place right now is Pueblo and it is fun. I was on North Table last night and it was frozen, but the trails up there are hammered by both bikes and horses using the trails when they are muddy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I rode WR today around 11:00. Belcher hill is good to go up to the fork at least! (when frozen) -- but w/ out sun it didn't even have a chance to melt today.

BTW--- The hikers and horses have put HOLES in the ground by being there when its muddy. WTF!

oh - watch the ice ;)

·
650b me
1,498 Posts
Reporterkyle, thank you for speaking up. I wanted to yesterday, but figured I'd get blasted for it. As you state, the only appropriate time to ride the trails right now is when they are frozen. I remember years in the past when Mt Falcon was dry and rideable in January! That is not the case this year. I'm pretty much sticking to riding on pavement until....???

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't know why you would only stick to pavement- - granted there is alot of ice and as far as WR goes. . . . probably only Belcher is good to ride-- but it was GOOD (98% dirt) :) today was sweet to because while the temps were about 40 or so, the sun never got to the mud to unfreeze it. But ya-- had it been sunny and 50, there would have been a ton of deep crappy mud (that hikers and horses will continue to make holes in the trail with :(

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,445 Posts
Reporterkyle said:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.