Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Graeagle this weekend for a family trip and will most likely have one morning to ride. Last year I rode Mills Peak. It was fun but wondering if Mt Elwell is more fun. I won't have time to do both so it's one or the other. If you had to choose, which one? Thanks

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'll be in Graeagle this weekend for a family trip and will most likely have one morning to ride. Last year I rode Mills Peak. It was fun but wondering if Mt Elwell is more fun. I won't have time to do both so it's one or the other. If you had to choose, which one? Thanks
Mills Peak = morning or afternoon ride
Mt Elwell = all day ride

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Want more chunk and tech and some hike-a-bike to the top? Do Elwell.

Don't want that? Do Mills.

Want even less chunk than Mills? Do Mt. Hough in Quincy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you pedaling from town or getting dropped off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could go either way. I could get dropped off to do Elewell, or I could ride from town and do the out and back on Mills. Mills was fun last year but seemed a little XCish for my liking, but its familiar and can be done early morning. I like the idea of doing Elwell, my only concern is how easy it is to navigate solo and what timeframe I should factor in.

·
mtb'er
4,295 Posts
Most recent strava upload for Elwell.... https://www.strava.com/activities/2555085238/overview

If you haven't been up or down from the top, snow could mess up navigation. Still might be a week or so early, it sounds like.

Maybe ride or get a lift to Johnsville and hit this loop. Climb on fire road at start isn't horrible and all the singletrack bits are excellent. Some rowdy stuff on lower Jamison. Sounds like snow isn't an issue, but don't quote me on that. https://www.strava.com/activities/2554946385

Its also fun to ride from Gold Lake Lodge into Lakes Basin on the various options, then head for Graeagle Creek Trail and take it all the way to town.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
You WILL absolutely HAB plenty on Mt Elwell. I'd also says it's not nearly as fun until after the snow melts off and it gets cleared. We tried to ride it two years ago on the early side and it was a mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.