Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I rode it last weekend. Still a good bit of large snow patches at the top and a couple of down trees. Snow patches looked like they were melting fast. Early season I typically ride it as an out and back from the smith lake side, and just turn around once I get tired of slogging through the snow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode it last weekend. Still a good bit of large snow patches at the top and a couple of down trees. Snow patches looked like they were melting fast. Early season I typically ride it as an out and back from the smith lake side, and just turn around once I get tired of slogging through the snow.
OK good to know it's been ridden. Would you say worth it? I don't mind walking through a few snow drifts here and there but since i've never ridden it yet I don't want to have to go through so much snow that you lose the trail or that you felt like you should've brought a snowboard instead of a bike. Also considered doing the out and back thing like you suggested. Guess i'll just have to see and make it a proper adventure ride.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you look at what has been ridden recently on Strava? I was always wondering if you can tweak the heat map or something, but not sure how. Enlighten me por favor.
You can go to segment explore, click on the trail, then change the drop down menu on the leader board from "all-time" to today/this week/this month to filter out if people have been riding it with strava on.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Not to deter your plans but Mt Hough is clear. Check it out if you havent already done so. Unless you dont like zippy flowy bermy StarWars ripping thru trees type rides that is....

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
^ Sorry to hear that, although not too surprising. I hope the Brewing Lair is still going strong. And in the spirit of true mtb, I'll wait for the snow to melt!

·
Registered
769 Posts
^ Sorry to hear that, although not too surprising. I hope the Brewing Lair is still going strong. And in the spirit of true mtb, I'll wait for the snow to melt!
Having integrity, I cannot comment as to why it closed. As for the Brewing Lair, biggest and most profitable business in Plumas County! Have to try their new limited IPA, Take it Outside. There's not as much snow as people make it out, it's just blown out of proportion. Will ride tomorrow and give an update.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rode it on Saturday. There was a couple of hundred yard section of snow (and some smaller ones) on the PCT that had to be crossed along with some downed trees here and there. Everything is clear on Elwell trail up to the summit but just on the descent side of the mountain there is still quite a bit of snow on the super chunky part that is burried under snow. It was a little sketchy navigating down to the exposed trail while not sliding into rocks or tree wells but that's also what made it fun. That snow is going to be there for a while. The rip down was well worth the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.