Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

So, I need to be in Fremont to pick up my kid Saturday late afternoon. I was thinking it would be fun to check out Mt. Diablo around noon as I have never been. Would any of you fine MT. bikers out there happen to be riding there this Sat. and can I tag along? I am a pretty decent rider and will be towing a 33lb Mojo HD. I tend to climb at a medium stress free pace (can go faster though trying for an under 40 min this Friday on Kennedy so may be a little tweeked) but can descend like an animal if it is allowed. Prefer ST but just like to ride new trails really. (secret trails will be reciprocated)

Thanks and will probably just hit Demo if I get no takers.

Cheers and thanks

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Howdy

So, I need to be in Fremont to pick up my kid Saturday late afternoon. I was thinking it would be fun to check out Mt. Diablo around noon as I have never been. Would any of you fine MT. bikers out there happen to be riding there this Sat. and can I tag along? I am a pretty decent rider and will be towing a 33lb Mojo HD. I tend to climb at a medium stress free pace (can go faster though trying for an under 40 min this Friday on Kennedy so may be a little tweeked) but can descend like an animal if it is allowed. Prefer ST but just like to ride new trails really. (secret trails will be reciprocated)

Thanks and will probably just hit Demo if I get no takers.

Cheers and thanks
Hank and Frank are both dead. There's a bike shop with their name - but I wouldn't recomend you go there. Unless you like talking with people who have the social skills of Rain Man, sans the mathematical prowess and affinity for pepsi.

If you're riding a Mojo HD - check out Redwood and Joaquin Miller instead. Much more fun, technical singletrack.

Mount Diablo is primarily about big fire road climbs. There is some singletrack - but not a lot - and a Mojo HD is sort of overkill.

Just my $.02.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're riding a Mojo HD - check out Redwood and Joaquin Miller instead. Much more fun, technical singletrack.

Mount Diablo is primarily about big fire road climbs. There is some singletrack - but not a lot - and a Mojo HD is sort of overkill.

Just my $.02.:thumbsup:
Thanks for this note. Been to JM many times as my bro-in-law lives near trailhead so always strap bike to car when venturing over to his BBQs (big fan of Cinder...). I was just thinking bucket list with Diablo...even if it sucks wouldn't mind checking it out. I have heard some drop hints in forums that there are gems to be found but whenever I pinged them, they went all quiet on me. hmmmm...

I also don't mind hauling a biggish bike around...keeps me fit.

Thanks!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Thanks for this note. Been to JM many times as my bro-in-law lives near trailhead so always strap bike to car when venturing over to his BBQs (big fan of Cinder...). I was just thinking bucket list with Diablo...even if it sucks wouldn't mind checking it out. I have heard some drop hints in forums that there are gems to be found but whenever I pinged them, they went all quiet on me. hmmmm...

I also don't mind hauling a biggish bike around...keeps me fit.

Thanks!
If you're an undocumented mountain biker, there are plenty of trails to be had in Shell Ridge. I don't know all the names - but there are quite a few. Start from Indian Valley School, off Ygnacio Vly Road. PM me for specifics.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
so there's someone who might know someone that might give a tour? Where's the love?

fc
I would volunteer, but Marin's calling my name!

WG & IMJPS know these trails.

BTW - Francois - we should be able to "tag" people in posts, such that when I write "@imjps" he gets notified.

You know?

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
God dammit you guys.

Ask for Jamil.

Shell ridge is fun if you take those illegal trails, but you can only ride them early in the morning or late at night.
I ride those trails all the time. Just be friendly. People in WC are too rich to be pissed!

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
I don't know nuthin'. Plus can't ride that time on Sat. If doing creative exploration, weekends are usually not the best time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mt. D has some decent singletrack but most of it is illegal so mid-day Saturday isn't the best time to be up there.

You may consider Las Trampas on the other side of the valley. Its steeper, lots of ST and you're less likely to run into a ranger. I have a buddy who rides a Mojo HD up there all the time and loves it.

·
Now with more slacking
62 Posts
Poaching ST in shell ridge or Mt D this weekend is not a great idea -- it will be very crowded with hikers and equestrians, incl. the kind that don't get out much (this may be our best weather weekend of the fall), so don't know how to interact with other trail users. On a weekday, most any time of day, you can string together several miles of ST out there connected by fire roads, but on a weekend like this it's dicey.

However, the legal stretches of ST on Mt D are worth a trip at least once... Diablo Ranch Rd., Buckeye Trail, and Dan Cook Canyon rd. are all fun, flowy stretches.

You can ride up Wall Pt. Rd or BBQ Terrace, both fire roads (BBQ is a bit of a lungbuster at the end), to Summit Trail (another fire road at that point). Take that to the ranger junction, then descend Northgate Rd. a bit to Angel Kerley, and pick up Diablo Ranch Rd. from there. It spits out at (you guessed it) Diablo Ranch, and just a bit past that again on Northgate, there's a very small marker with an entrance to Buckeye Trail (legally, should be walking at this point). That will cut off part of Buckeye, but you'll catch most of it. That brings you back to Stage Rd., close to BBQ terrace. That loop is a good 60-90 mins.

The ST portion of Dan Cook is a bit longer, and starts at the bottom of Live Oak campground near Rock City. If you take Wall or BBQ to Summit Trail, just go the other way from the junction. Then at the bottom this trail turns into Green Valley trail, officially outside park boundaries, but again some flowy ST portions.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ahhhh, shucks. This no longer seems worth it based on what I am hearing. It's probably like Los Gatos...fine if you live there but not really worth the drive to hit it. Some worthy trails here and there but local knowledge is mandatory and rangers lurk. Think I'll stick with some tried and true Santa Cruz Mountain action.

Thanks everyone for the input/help and sure I'll find myself there someday.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,036 Posts
I am up for a loop on Saturday. We can climb summit trail to Juniper and hit 3 legal ST, Total ride is about 18miles 3300 footies and takes me about ~2:45. Its a good Saturday loop.

We could also do something different on Los Trampas Ridge, less elevation, about 12miles.

I am like you on climbing and descents from what it sounds like and on a similar weighted rig.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.