Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the singletrack near the summit worth riding? How cold is it up near the summit? About how many miles of bike-legal singletrack are there in Diablo/Crow Canyon?

I used to ride (and get lost in) the lower trails (Shell ridge, Wall Point, BBQ terrace) when I lived in the east bay. I have never ridden higher up or on any singletrack. What's it like? I imagine that the area would hold an epic trail system/epic loop because of it's size. When I look at the map, it looks like a smaller version of Coe.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
bailout said:
Is the singletrack near the summit worth riding? How cold is it up near the summit? About how many miles of bike-legal singletrack are there in Diablo/Crow Canyon?

I used to ride (and get lost in) the lower trails (Shell ridge, Wall Point, BBQ terrace) when I lived in the east bay. I have never ridden higher up or on any singletrack. What's it like? I imagine that the area would hold an epic trail system/epic loop because of it's size. When I look at the map, it looks like a smaller version of Coe.

Thanks
I probably wouldn't ride all the way to the top just to ride North Peak trail, but it is a fun ride and has great views. It is probably about 10 degrees cooler on top and the winds can sometimes be strong. You can call 925-838-9225 to get current weather conditions.

There is some other legal single track in the park, including Buckeye and Diablo Ranch over by where you used to ride, and Dan Cook on the Danville side.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
EBrider said:
I probably wouldn't ride all the way to the top just to ride North Peak trail, but it is a fun ride and has great views. It is probably about 10 degrees cooler on top and the winds can sometimes be strong. You can call 925-838-9225 to get current weather conditions.

There is some other legal single track in the park, including Buckeye and Diablo Ranch over by where you used to ride, and Dan Cook on the Danville side.
Don't forget Oyster Point - possibly the best legal singletrack on the mountain, definately the longest continuous. It's out by Blackhawk off of Finley Rd.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
EBrider said:

I'd say it can be an easy 10, upwards of 20 degrees cooler at the top. That's just a seat of the pants test, though.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
imridingmybike said:
I'd say it can be an easy 10, upwards of 20 degrees cooler at the top. That's just a seat of the pants test, though.
On Saturday, we left at 9:00 AM when it was about 30 in Clayton, dipped to about 25 at Deer Flat (2,000 feet) and was about 30 again by the time we got to the top and low 40s when we got back down. The wind can be a problem though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Don't forget Oyster Point - possibly the best legal singletrack on the mountain, definately the longest continuous. It's out by Blackhawk off of Finley Rd.
Me no likey OP! Riggs Canyon is bare, needless to say doing it in 110 degrees was not ideal... But you're right, the longest ST in the park.

For a great loop start at Dan Cook Canyon trail and ride up to Rock City, out to Curry Point and out to Oyster Point, up and back over to retrace your steps to Curry Point/Rocky City.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
LJ0913 said:
Me no likey OP! Riggs Canyon is bare, needless to say doing it in 110 degrees was not ideal... But you're right, the longest ST in the park.

For a great loop start at Dan Cook Canyon trail and ride up to Rock City, out to Curry Point and out to Oyster Point, up and back over to retrace your steps to Curry Point/Rocky City.
When I rode it, we parked on Finley Rd. and rode up through Curry Canyon and Blackhawk Ridge before descending OP and going back to the cars.

Check out my Motion Based plot from last May.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Dan'ger said:
When I rode it, we parked on Finley Rd. and rode up through Curry Canyon and Blackhawk Ridge before descending OP and going back to the cars.

Check out my Motion Based plot from last May.
I haven't ridden that in a few years - but it's a great trail.

Our route last time was begin at green vly school. Up Dan Cook to Rock City, down an unnamed trail to OP up that beyotch of a climb and back again. It was a helluva ride!:thumbsup:

Who's up for doing that route this weekend?!? I got both days cleared to ride!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
imridingmybike said:
I haven't ridden that in a few years - but it's a great trail.

Our route last time was begin at green vly school. Up Dan Cook to Rock City, down an unnamed trail to OP up that beyotch of a climb and back again. It was a helluva ride!:thumbsup:

Who's up for doing that route this weekend?!? I got both days cleared to ride!
I could potentially do that, maybe Sunday.

·
gimme friction
1,139 Posts
I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned it, but if you're up there, the trail from Devil's Elbow is the one to ride.

It's short singletrack, like maybe a mile, but technical enough to be fun, and lots of awesome views.

Works out well as a loop from Mitchell or Donner Canyons, with a very fun descent down Meridian Ridge.

bailout said:

Thanks

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Dan'ger said:
It's great stuff but it doesn;t meet my time requirements.

Sorry to threadjack but I'm looking at a 1/20 AM JMP loop or 2.
I'm down with that, too.

Unfortunately Carrie has to work all weekend - so I am free to ride!

I'll be riding the big bike. There's a new line on Cinderalla I haven't hit yet. it's BIG.:thumbsup:

What time?

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
imridingmybike said:
I'm down with that, too.

Unfortunately Carrie has to work all weekend - so I am free to ride!

I'll be riding the big bike. There's a new line on Cinderalla I haven't hit yet. it's BIG.:thumbsup:

What time?
Take it to the other thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=262627

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.