Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All trails and roads on Mt Diablo are closed due to fire danger.

According to the website: Mt. Diablo State Park will be closed due to extreme fire conditions until furthur notice.

Probably better off riding somewhere cooler near the coast anyway.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
EBrider said:

According to the website: Mt. Diablo State Park will be closed due to extreme fire conditions until furthur notice.

Who do we need to send letters to??

I'm sure if we just bow and capitulate, they'll give us access!

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thats pretty crazy, but as a firefighter, I can totally understand. The state is streched so thin right now with resources, that a fire on Mt. Diablo would be catastrophic. The state, local and federal agencies dont have the resources. We have already taken resources from other states like Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Washington, just to fight all the current fires burning in California.

I am sure you guys can go somewhere else thats not closed. Its not the only area. I totally understand their decision during this heat wave.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
Who do we need to send letters to??

I'm sure if we just bow and capitulate, they'll give us access!

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
Why don't you burn the place down?

Or just drive 15 miles west to ride in Oakland?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Fyrmedic510 said:
Thats pretty crazy, but as a firefighter, I can totally understand. The state is streched so thin right now with resources, that a fire on Mt. Diablo would be catastrophic. The state, local and federal agencies dont have the resources. We have already taken resources from other states like Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Washington, just to fight all the current fires burning in California.

I am sure you guys can go somewhere else thats not closed. Its not the only area. I totally understand their decision during this heat wave.
i guess cutting all the firefighters is finally starting to come back and bite us in the A$$.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Linga115 said:
i guess cutting all the firefighters is finally starting to come back and bite us in the A$$.
I think its more to do with two years of drought and lightening strikes than the amount of fire fighters.

Either way, I can find somewhere to ride for a few days even though I don't think riding my bike is likely to cause a fire. If it were open, I'm sure some idiot would hike up a light a cigarette. At least its closed to hikers and horses as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What about Morgan Territory? Or ya'll could just cowboy up and ride the ridgeline on the other side of the valley... Las Trampas may be a lot smaller than Diablo, but I guarantee that there's much harder climbing and crazier descents. But then again you do kinda need to know where all the secret goodies are up there.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
his dudeness said:
What about Morgan Territory? Or ya'll could just cowboy up and ride the ridgeline on the other side of the valley... Las Trampas may be a lot smaller than Diablo, but I guarantee that there's much harder climbing and crazier descents. But then again you do kinda need to know where all the secret goodies are up there.
Should have been more precise. Mt Diablo State Park is closed. As far as I know, EBRPD is open.

·
Banned
218 Posts
EBrider said:

Sounds like a perfect time to hit all of the good stuff.

It's too bad that I already have plenty of hot/smoky/heavy ozone riding in my legs today.

Maybe tomorrow.

his dudeness said:
Las Trampas may be a lot smaller than Diablo, but I guarantee that there's much harder climbing
I'm trying to imagine a harder climb than the lower entrance to Bald Ridge, or the climb up the Falls Trail and then up Middle Ridge.

Where are these harder climbs?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Just got back from the local entrance. It's wide open. Except for the the "closed due to extreme fire danger" sign on the green gate. I've ridden Diablo several times when it's been closed at Mitchell but not posted here. Only 102 out there now and not super bad on the smoke. Hey Steve...I met Mike F and Steve? (Red Stumpy) on Saturday at the green gate.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
urinal mint said:

It's too bad that I already have plenty of hot/smoky/heavy ozone riding in my legs today.

Maybe tomorrow.

I'm trying to imagine a harder climb than the lower entrance to Bald Ridge, or the climb up the Falls Trail and then up Middle Ridge.

What I was thinking...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Fyrmedic510 said:
Thats pretty crazy, but as a firefighter, I can totally understand. The state is streched so thin right now with resources, that a fire on Mt. Diablo would be catastrophic.
Agreed, the last big fire up there burned for a week.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
urinal mint said:

Maybe tomorrow.

I remember either Burma or Mother's being nasty... whichever one is nicknamed "the freeway" but I've never really done a climb there that I couldn't grind through

South Ave, Eagle Peak, Del Amigo, Trapline, The Camille entrance, parts of Madrone, Sulphur Springs... these are the gnarly climbs that I remember. They're definately much shorter, but the grade of steepness goes from bad to insane and then back to bad again.

I'm pretty bad with trail names at this point, but there's most of the lung busters from what I remember. All of the downhills that I do aren't on the map, therefore I can't give a location... but they're pretty intense if you know of the several secrets that hide within the densly wooded hills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.