Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
Yeah, I know it well

LJ0913 said:
GET WELL SOON! Nasty fall, glad you're doing well.....

Anyone know the trail? Not much detail in the link..

http://www.ktvu.com/news/4366488/detail.html
The 'trail' is a closed roadway that runs between Martinez to the north and Port Costa and Crockett to the south. The powers that be closed the road after many years of it sliding down in to the Carquinez Straits section of San Pablo Bay.

Not really a mountain bike route, but a fun ride on any sort of bike. I've done it as a loop from Franklin Canyon in Martinez, down Ewing Road into Port Costa for beers, back up the Scenic Shoreline road/trail to Martinez. Fun ride, gentle climbs, great views.

It's a very steep fall down that cliff, and the guy is lucky to be alive. IIRC, there is only one place where the road is almost totally washed away, and you have to be somewhat careful getting by. Otherwise, it's two-lane pavement.

Maybe he had a few too many bell jars of beer at the Spot in Port Costa... :D

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
The 'trail' is a closed roadway that runs between Martinez to the north and Port Costa and Crockett to the south. The powers that be closed the road after many years of it sliding down in to the Carquinez Straits section of San Pablo Bay.

Not really a mountain bike route, but a fun ride on any sort of bike. I've done it as a loop from Franklin Canyon in Martinez, down Ewing Road into Port Costa for beers, back up the Scenic Shoreline road/trail to Martinez. Fun ride, gentle climbs, great views.

It's a very steep fall down that cliff, and the guy is lucky to be alive. IIRC, there is only one place where the road is almost totally washed away, and you have to be somewhat careful getting by. Otherwise, it's two-lane pavement.

Maybe he had a few too many bell jars of beer at the Spot in Port Costa... :D
Hey I used to bike that all the time. Yea there is one section, unless you just aren't paying attention!

That spot in part Costa has like hundreds of beers. It has been a long time. Fun to try and climb McEwen road afterwards, gah.

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
Quick update:

The blurb in this morning's SF Chronicle indicated that the dude fell where the road pinches out to a dirt path near the north end of the Scenic Shoreline or whatever it's called.

Definately not a good place to find out the tension adjustments on your clipless pedals are too tight. :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
The blurb in this morning's SF Chronicle indicated that the dude fell where the road pinches out to a dirt path near the north end of the Scenic Shoreline or whatever it's called.

Definately not a good place to find out the tension adjustments on your clipless pedals are too tight. :D
I haven't read the story in the Chronicle, but did this guy just miss that road got narrow or what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.