Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever ridden the singletrack trails at Camp Ingawanis south of Waverly, Iowa or participated in the Camp Ingwanis mountain bike races?

http://www.winnebagobsa.org/html/Mt_Biking/Mountain_Biking2.asp

This weekend, April 30th and May 1st, is the 3rd year of mountain bike races on the course and was thinking about driving up to race on Sunday. I wondered if the trails are open to the public during the week to check out, or if it is a private camp only open to the public on the weekend of the races. If you have been there, would a rigid hardtail (29"er of course) or a full suspension bike be the best ride for Cam Ingwanis?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows these trails and or has done this race in a prior year.

BB

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have!

I have done it both years. It is the best single track in the state...other than Decorah and SugarBottom. The course has everything, and either a hardtail or FS will work. I have raced both years on a NRS Air FS bike. It's mixed bag in terms of kinds of bikes people race on. This course is how mnt biking used to be...meaning they don't pick off all the rocks or move all the logs out of the way. There is climbing. There is water crossings. There is sand. I highly recommend it! I live in Waterloo/CF so I can ride up there and ride just about any time.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KERKOVEJ said:
This course is how mnt biking used to be...meaning they don't pick off all the rocks or move all the logs out of the way. There is climbing. There is water crossings. There is sand. I highly recommend it! I live in Waterloo/CF so I can ride up there and ride just about any time.
So you are saying this Scout Camp is open to the public for riding the trails? I coudln't figure that out from the website as it looked it was a private Boy Scout camp closed to the public. I might drive up and check out the singletrack if it is open daily. I would rather do that this week that pre-ride the entire course the day of the race.

BB

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
BruceBrown said:
So you are saying this Scout Camp is open to the public for riding the trails? I coudln't figure that out from the website as it looked it was a private Boy Scout camp closed to the public. I might drive up and check out the singletrack if it is open daily. I would rather do that this week that pre-ride the entire course the day of the race.

BB
Well...technically no, it is not open to the public. I have been granted personal permission to go up there and train. I have yet to be up there this year.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KERKOVEJ said:
Well...technically no, it is not open to the public. I have been granted personal permission to go up there and train. I have yet to be up there this year.
I found the name of the Camp Ingawanis Ranger - Tim Cook. Perhaps I should contact him to see if permission could be granted for a "training ride" this week. If not, I could ride the trails on Saturday as a pre-race ride according to the promotional brochure.

It's been raining cats and dogs down in southern Iowa and the trails are goopy, soupy and poopy. I wonder what shape Ingawanis is in at the moment - or if there will even be a race due to conditions?

I guess the north has seen rain as well according to the write ups I have read about your successful Trans-Iowa race. I'd love to do that next year and hope you would be able to open up the field to more starters than 50. By the time I heard it about it, it was long "sold out".

BB

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
- You can preride the course Saturday I believe and before the race Sunday. I am a newb on the mtn biking auxiliary and was down there last weekend to check it out and clean up. This will be my first race and having had grown up at ingawanis it is a perfect place to start. The man to email questions to would be Paul Meyermann. I have his email if you need it. I also checked out your blog Jeff and that was some incredible reading and riding at Trans Iowa.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtbidwell said:
- You can preride the course Saturday I believe and before the race Sunday. I am a newb on the mtn biking auxiliary and was down there last weekend to check it out and clean up. This will be my first race and having had grown up at ingawanis it is a perfect place to start. The man to email questions to would be Paul Meyermann. I have his email if you need it.
Thanks.

Yes, I contacted Paul and he mentioned I would have to join the Biking Auxiliary for $10 per year to ride the trails during times when other BSA riding events are not scheduled on the trails. No time to get that process completed this week in time to test the trails, so riding them on Saturday and or Sunday prior to the race is my only option.

BB

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Thanks.

Yes, I contacted Paul and he mentioned I would have to join the Biking Auxiliary for $10 per year to ride the trails during times when other BSA riding events are not scheduled on the trails. No time to get that process completed this week in time to test the trails, so riding them on Saturday and or Sunday prior to the race is my only option.

BB
That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I'll be there putting up some corner ribbons Sat AM so see you there. I'll be the bald guy on an orange prophet! I have never seen a 29"er.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
mtbidwell said:
That is what I thought but wasn't sure. I'll be there putting up some corner ribbons Sat AM so see you there. I'll be the bald guy on an orange prophet! I have never seen a 29"er.
MTBIDWELL...
I work at Europa. C-Dale rep stopped in today, and we got that spring order'd up. Also have the bash guard coming. I have been riding it out in the parking lot jumping small cars
:D

Just kidding!

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
MTBIDWELL...
I work at Europa. C-Dale rep stopped in today, and we got that spring order'd up. Also have the bash guard coming. I have been riding it out in the parking lot jumping small cars
:D

Just kidding!
Thats great! Thank you very much, Hopefully she shifts a little better now as well.

·
make mine fixed
60 Posts
Race Report

The weather, trail, hospitality, and facilities made this a very memoriable experience!

Weather: In the mid 40's, overcast with occassional hail (very small diameter). I remember smiling while pedaling in the open, straight into a 20+ mph wind full of small snowballs!

Trail: My first time on the trail. I promptly clipped a small sapling and became the first one to fall in the Sport race. No undergrowth, just a lot of sparsely populated evergreen trees. In one section, you could look in three directions and see riders going all different ways and not know who was ahead and who behind. While flowing, the trail was often punctuated with turns requiring deceleration/acceleration.

The bridges over the water lasted only a few riders, than it was carry your bike through about 30' of frigid water and across the muddy bank (twice per lap). My feet were frozen and really starting to hurt by the end of the second lap/race which took me 2 hours.

Hospitality: Nice warm chili and hot chocolate were provided. Support crew were friendly and made the racers feel welcome.

Facilities: The Eagle lodge was large enough for all the racers, lots of seats, with a shower in the restroom.

Great Job to all who had a part in pulling this race off!

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Ingawanis

That was a great experience for me. As a first timer in the beginner class we had the luxo of nice weather and stable bridges. And since my wife was not w/ me I got lost -twice. Oh well. I wanted to add that the highlight of my day was watching the sport class and the expert class come across the line. Each individual's satisfaction seemed different crossing the line. Watching the winner, Brian I think it was, cross in 2hours 18 min. was incredible. My hero was definitely Carl. I had the opportunity to chat w/ his wife while he was riding expert for the 1st time at that course. Very cool! Everyone who competed was an inspiration and reminded me what achieving personal goals could feel like. See you next year--- in Sport Class!!! (w/ some clipless pedals!)
Oh and within the next couple weeks we will have some bridges built-
--Jeremy

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mtbidwell said:
That was a great experience for me. As a first timer in the beginner class we had the luxo of nice weather and stable bridges. And since my wife was not w/ me I got lost -twice. Oh well. I wanted to add that the highlight of my day was watching the sport class and the expert class come across the line. Each individual's satisfaction seemed different crossing the line. Watching the winner, Brian I think it was, cross in 2hours 18 min. was incredible. My hero was definitely Carl. I had the opportunity to chat w/ his wife while he was riding expert for the 1st time at that course. Very cool! Everyone who competed was an inspiration and reminded me what achieving personal goals could feel like. See you next year--- in Sport Class!!! (w/ some clipless pedals!)
Oh and within the next couple weeks we will have some bridges built-
--Jeremy
Hey, Jeremy - it was nice to meet you after the race. Personally, I'm glad we dodged the snow in our race.

Wow! 2:18 for 3 laps on that course. That's an average of 46 minutes per lap for the expert winner. What was the sport class winner's time? I think I would have coughed up blood trying to do that lap in much under 60 minutes - and I even managed to stay on the bridge which kept my feet warm and dry. I think the lead group in the beginner's class got out to a little more "relaxed and slower start" than is traditional in the sport and expert class, but after the first 3 miles things started to pick up tempo. Had we started a tad quicker, perhaps we could have come in at 60 minutes or a hair under instead of 1:03, 1:06, 1:07, etc... .

I believe there are 2 more races in the Iowa Mt. Bike series this year with Sugar Bottom Scramble on August 20th and one before that called Uncle Sammy's Birthday Bike-athon (IMBCS #4) on the third of July in Near Washington, Iowa. That might give us beginning racers a good shot at improving our training between now and then to see how we do in a couple more races before moving to sport. I like your goal of shooting for sport class next year. I would like to join you on that goal, but realize I am going to have to alter my training to reach that goal to maintain such a pace for 20 miles.

I enjoyed the trails and think I might join to be able to come up to the camp and ride a few times each year. I would like to see some of the other trails that were not part of the loop. The staff did a great job of organizing a well run event.

BB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.