Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the Tilly is it? Is it worthy the drive? The info I've heard is sketchy at best. Any good connectors to make a long ride of it? I haven't ridden in the Tilly in about 6 years, has it changed much?

· Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
MTBA#1 is located to the left of Storey Burn TH. You can see a sign that shows where the trail ends. From there, follow the road up about 3/4 of a mile and the trail starts back up on the left. The trail is about 1.5 miles long with about 10 logs/features to climb over and a couple good jumps. If you are familiar with the area, there are plenty of ways to make longer rides with Gales Creek/Storey Burn/Brown's camp and include this short little trail. It's not worth a drive to only do MTBA#1.

· Registered
127 Posts
The trail that was just built, Lars Trail, is not Freeride. It is kind of all-mountain. It lacks flow until the last part of the trail. Not really all that fun. It trail was planned a while back and WTF took up the cause to finish it. This is a huge area and hopefully it we will be able to build some good trails on it going forward.

· Registered
56 Posts
Miniature trail

I checked it out this weekend... After climbing up from Gales Creek CG, this short loop wasn't terribly rewarding. I was looking for XC/AM with a few things to hop over, but instead this trail felt like a 4 or 5 mile long trail that was recreated in 1/4 miniature. The trail is very narrow, and the stumps/logs/berms/turns were much too close together to get any flow. There's nowhere to land a jump or hop without having to clench the brake to either do it again or careen off into the brush.

If you're working on skills, have a really high bottom bracket bike (or a solid bashguard) and don't mind a slow pace with a lot of balance training then go for it. I'd rather head down to Brown's Camp from there and do a loop.

Steve

· Registered
56 Posts
Deserved Kudos

Don't get me wrong - Kudos to the trailbuilders who put in the time and effort to build a new trail in the Tillamook, AND get it sanctioned by the forest service. We need more people like you - the potential of that area is tremendous.

The design of the trail isn't my style. I'm not skilled enough.

Cyklops

· Banned
1,442 Posts
cyklops said:
Don't get me wrong - Kudos to the trailbuilders who put in the time and effort to build a new trail in the Tillamook, AND get it sanctioned by the forest service. We need more people like you - the potential of that area is tremendous.

The design of the trail isn't my style. I'm not skilled enough.

Cyklops
The Sickter Lars trail was designed many years ago and the project was stalled for a very long time until the WTF recently stepped in to finish the job. Part of the deal with the ODF for this trail was that it had to be built to the original specs and original line. It is supposed to be an old school techy style trail and I think considering that, it came out quite well. Honestly I did not like it the first couple of times that I rode it, but once I figured it out, it is pretty cool. IMO, the second half (especially the mini berms and mini stepdown section) rides pretty quick. But sometimes a trail isn't all about speed.... variety is nice. Either way, thanks for checking it out and sharing your opinion.

The overgrown brush and low hanging ankle biter logs are currently being addressed. Any other concerns or suggestions, please let us know.

Future trails will be different (but, that is up to you). Think faster, flowy, more "modern". And, of course, if you'd like to help get these trails built in whatever capacity you may have, you sound like exactly the type of person the WTF needs to have onboard.

More info at http://westsidetrailfederation.org

· Registered
296 Posts
My 2 cents

With the obstacles and stunts located as they are, it will take may rides to learn their locations and determine best lines. But, there is a problem that I won't be able to get around: The obstacles do not take into account riders with triple ring cranks. I'm sure there are a lot of AM riders out there that have the big rings. Would it be too much to ask to have logs/stumps built up around so the rider doesn't have to bash the rings teeth? That would really help. Maybe my skills aren't up to the task of that trail yet. But I know I'm not getting a bash guard because I use the big ring on flat fire roads and long ST downhills.

· The Dude Abides
305 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't worry that much about hitting your big chain ring on a log. Most of the trees in the Tilly are pine/cedar so they aren't very hard. I've been using my big chain ring for years, both to claw my over large logs that I can't hop, and to ride fast. My big chain ring is a few years old and is as un-bent as the day I got it.

I will say I haven't been to Mt Bike Area 1, so I don't know how many big rocks are out there, I'm just assuming since it's in the Tilly there are mostly downed trees, not boulders.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are way too kind. Rode it today and can honestly say that this trail makes no sense to me. No flow at all and the obstacles are too close together. The trail isn't even worth mentioning to someone going to ride in the Tilly. Thankfully I rode Storyburn to the historic hiking trail out and back and had a nice ride!!!

· Registered
2,986 Posts
mudlover71 said:
You guys are way too kind. Rode it today and can honestly say that this trail makes no sense to me. No flow at all and the obstacles are too close together. The trail isn't even worth mentioning to someone going to ride in the Tilly. Thankfully I rode Storyburn to the historic hiking trail out and back and had a nice ride!!!
Agreed, my sediments exactly! I feel bad saying that though, cause I know a lot of guys worked hard to make that trail. Maybe its just a ploy to the forest service to build better stuff in the area?

All trails must flow to some degree to make the`drive worthwhile, and that trail is missing that one fundamental thing. If all trails could only be nice, twisty and flowy like Storey Burn with some added stunts, roots, jumps to mix it up a bit...oh that is Post Canyon.

· Banned
1,442 Posts
jgusta said:
Agreed, my sediments exactly! I feel bad saying that though, cause I know a lot of guys worked hard to make that trail. Maybe its just a ploy to the forest service to build better stuff in the area?

All trails must flow to some degree to make the`drive worthwhile, and that trail is missing that one fundamental thing. If all trails could only be nice, twisty and flowy like Storey Burn with some added stunts, roots, jumps to mix it up a bit...oh that is Post Canyon.
Was there anything / any features in particular that you guys *did* like? What about the stepdown on the second half and the lightly bermed corners in the section right before (after you cross the gravel road)?

Any other feedback, let's hear it...

· Registered
2,986 Posts
AW_ said:
Was there anything / any features in particular that you guys *did* like? What about the stepdown on the second half and the lightly bermed corners in the section right before (after you cross the gravel road)?

Any other feedback, let's hear it...
Yeah I liked the burm and step down, but those sections are very short lived and doesn't really stand out due to the trail feeling somewhat "dis-jointed" as a whole, especially the section before the gravel road. A trail that short, needs to have more flowy stuff built with the manmade stuff, such as 2 Chair, Chorus X, Grand Prix and 8-track up at Post.

That's just my opinion though, and I really liked the idea of mtb area #`1. Sorry for the poor critique, especially since i didn'y do any work up there.

JG

· Registered
26 Posts
I have an answer to you guys who are whining:

Don't ride any trails that you didn't help build.

The door is wide open to any of you who want more specific riding opportunities close to PDX. Sickter Lars was designed to be a highly technical Xc trail, so those of you who were expecting post canyon- I have no idea where you got that idea.

This trail was completed so that a few of us DH-Freeride guys could start work on DH-FR riding opportunities. If you want more flowy trails there are a several opportunities: contact us at westsidetrailfederation.org and get involved as a trail manager, if you dont want to get involved with us- contact ODF directly, or Stub Stewart State park is looking for volunteers to put trail on the ground out of vernonia- Contact Rocky Houston with Oregon parks & recreation.

Stop whining and start building then others can scalp your trail and complain about it without ever touching a shovel.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gee ******, that kinda sucks for me. I've never built any trails. Should I just quit? I haven't built any trails in Moab, should I stop riding there? What about Whistler? Stop that too? Maybe I'll buy a road bike. Is that ok?

· Registered
26 Posts
You don't like it?, don't ride it.

Pick up a shovel and respect the guys who are spending copius amounts of their own time to put new trails on the ground. We could spend our build time riding also but we're committed to creating what the Coast range has been missing for way too long. I'm not partial to Sickter Lars either, but I have recieved raves and thanks from most everyone who comes across me on the trail as I'm working on it. Believe it or not, apparently there are guys out there who like the challenge of being able to ride trails without having to put their foot down.

· Registered
108 Posts
Hmmm..hijacked thread??

Originally posted by ******
I'm not partial to Sickter Lars either

I thought that this is what this thread was about, opinions about a trail. Not about how much more trail work you do than others...yes I work on the trails that I spend a majority of time riding, yes I also am very active with the local mountain biking club leading group rides, as well as trail advocacy.

I have ridden Sickter Lars and the upper portion needs some help. The lower portion is a lot better and you can see that a lot of hard work has been done to it. Thank you.

To give your self the credit that you deserve the question is what more can be done to make the upper part of this trail more cohesive with the lower area?

Remember we are all in this together. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.