Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sure, the clearcutters have done some damage, and so did the rains. but the trail is in great shape and almost (if not) 100% rideable. The climb is even easier yet, thanks to the trucks.

finally got some descent pics, don't usually stop on this ride. the top shale slope is perfect this year.
kstar

hizzity

x-ker

forgot how much fun this after-work spin can be

the "rock"
kstar

hizzity

x-ker

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
So the creek section at the bottom wasn't too bad? We hike up this spring when it was in full flood mode and it look like 75% was going to be wiped out, even the old road section was a river. Glad to hear the loggers didn't mess the climb up too much. Might do it on friday with Jewel and Skogans Pass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
skogan said:
So the creek section at the bottom wasn't too bad? We hike up this spring when it was in full flood mode and it look like 75% was going to be wiped out, even the old road section was a river. Glad to hear the loggers didn't mess the climb up too much. Might do it on friday with Jewel and Skogans Pass.
The climb up was fine, just a few additional views which you couldn't see before due to all those pesky trees being in the way :rolleyes:. It has been untouched past the point where the actual ST climbing began.

Initial descent down the scree was awesome, and the rest of the descent to the creek section at the bottom has that good old fashioned baldy gnar feeling to it.

The creek sections at the bottom were wiped out, however they are still mostly ridable and there's even a few lines beginning to sprout up. A few places where you were forced off your bike or to put a foot down for a skateboard push or two to get you past a section.

The bobsled course (from the creek section to the highway) was as fast and as fun as always.

In regards to your Friday ride, have fun. I'd look into joining up with you as I've got Friday off but I did Skogan -> Jewell on Sunday (everything was in fine condition). I hadn't ridden Skogan before so I don't know how much the trail has changed due to activity in the area, but both the climb up and the descent down were on fire roads (and the last km or two of the descent was quite washboarded). TransCanada trail was an unexpected technical treat from the bottom of Skogan to Heart creek. The climb up to the Quaite creek campground was smooth, the rest of the climb is still ridable, and the descent down Jewell is always a delight. The section of stoney trail from Jewell to Nakiska was no fun - and I was sick of the powerline views by that point.

Quick question for doing a Skogan -> Jewell -> Baldy ride. At the end of Baldy, would you turn right and ride back to Barrier to join up with the Stoney trail or would you turn left and ride the highway back to Nakiska?

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
Thanks for the beta on Baldy!
When I'm going from Baldy to Skogan I usually hang a left at the top of the bobsled run. You end up following an old double track for a bit then it turns into a nice single track. You end up at Wasootch creek parking lot but if you cross the wash you can hook up with another double track that takes you up to the radio tower. A little further on and you end up having to drop down to the highway since the trail and the ditch become one. You still end up on the road but the distance is cut in half. Doug Eastcott sort of shows it in his map for the trail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.