Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be the blond hair, but I'm a little confused on registration for the MSC series. :eek:

I'm thinking about racing Super D (beginner), and the site says that beginners don't need to have a NORBA license. Elsewhere on the site, it says you have to either have a license or purchase one at the race.

So I guess I have three questions...
1) Do I need to have a NORBA license to race beginner class?

2) If I need a license, are all NORBA licenses $60? (according to the usacycling site, all the classes except pro are $60, unless I'm reading it wrong)

3) Are there any addtional fees that MSC charges for a race?

Thanks--Dan

·
eci
2,712 Posts
you need a liscense. you can purchase a weekend liscense at each race for a $5 fee or purchase a season long liscense for $60 thru usacycling.

At each race there is an entry fee ranging from 23-38 depending on when you enter what class and all that fun stuff

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
There is no 'beginner' class for Super-D, only 'Men' and 'Open Men' so I'm not sure. I'm checking into it, I'll get back to you. But for other events (XC, DH, etc.) snowskilz has it right.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
We're fairly certain that to race in the Men 19-29 or the Men 30+ classes without a yearly NORBA license, that one could just pay the extra day license fee of $5 at each event. Open Men would be the "pro" class for Super-D. For any of the NMBS, the classes and categories for Super-D are closer to the rest of the disciplines.

Rock on!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I raced a Super-D at Angel Fire last year. I am a rank XC beginner and non-NORBA member and I did pay the extra 5 bucks. I entered the men 30+ class in the Super-D as well and found it to be sandbag central. The men 30+ class was won by the same guy who won the XC expert men 35-39 class by 3 minutes. The top 10 in my class was mostly experts with a smattering of sports. Open Men class is apparently for Pros and ballsy experts, and the other Men's classes seem to be equivalent to sport/expert XC. The other negative thing was rampant cheating at the LeMans style start.

But, who cares. The Super D was about the most fun race of the season for me and I can't wait to do it again. I raced mid-pack with some righteous sports and beginners--good men all. The large field made the race fun fun fun. I consider the cost including the extra $5 money very well spent.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 'Trucker

NORBA yearly membership: $60
1 Day membership for 5 SD events: $25
Getting your a$$ handed to you: priceless

Right now I'm only planning on racing SuperD, so that means 5 events, $5 a pop =$25 versus $60 for a yearly membership. See, all that math homework I did 20 some years ago finally came in handy ;)

From what I've heard, sandbagging's par for the course at most races, at least 'til you get to expert level or so. As long as nobody's asking to "play thru" (keeping with the golf reference) I think I can take the shame of getting beat by everybody else, including wee children. :eek: With the classes split into "pro" and "everybody else" I don't expect to finish anywhere near the front of the pack, unless I can get some body to have a 6 pack of something dark and cold waiting at the bottom of the hill.
Any chance of a "hack" class??

And lastly, mainly 'cuz I just read it to my daughter, my mantra, courtesy of Dr. Seuss...
"If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.