Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at racing the Sisters Stampede over Memorial Day weekend, but was planning on combining with a camping trip. My tentative plan right now is to park at the southern end of the MRT Saturday morning, ride up the MRT and over on the Santiam Wagon Road to Sisters, camp in Sisters Saturday night, strip off camping gear and race Sunday, then head back via the same route Monday.

Any thoughts or other suggestions for fun routes that would get me a day of loaded riding before the Stampede and a day of loaded riding afterwards? Looking for mostly trail/soft surface stuff, trying to avoid pavement as much as possible. Looks like some of the trails that would allow me to put together a big loop between Sisters and Bend won't be open yet (M-W, etc). I'll be riding an ECR, so plenty of bike for softer surfaces/singletrack.

Some snow patches aren't a huge deal. Hours of trudging through the snow would be.

Thanks!

·
I should be out riding
1,858 Posts
You're on the right track for route. The wagon road drops you into the road/trail network to the SW of Suttle lake, and I'd bet the roads can connect into Sisters, or at least the McKenzie hwy. Snow is the question mark. I've ridden Mckenzie pass on the road a few times at about that time of year and there has always been deep drifts. Also, Mosquitos can be horrendous when the snow is melting near Hoodoo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the route I was planning on taking -http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4593809

.....looks like max elevation is around 4,700'.

My plan is to check out a route that hits 4,200' the weekend before, and assume that if that route is relatively snow free, I'm going to give it a go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts