Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone tried this?

i know the site says "BB mount version not suitable for use with double cranks, we recommend pairing the ISCG version with an ISCG Adapter for frames without ISCG or ISCG-05 tabs"

but perhaps someone has done tried it with the adapters? is this even possible?

still trying to put together a sram double with a bashguard - apparently its pretty difficult.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
meh
1,213 Posts
i have one in the mail, should be arriving tomorrrow, already have x.9 2x10 ready to be installed on a regular mojo, I emailed MRP about it and Noah replied pretty quickly (he posts on MTBR a lot too) as i had a similar question.

"The reason the BB mount doesn't work (and requires an ISCG adapter) is due to spacing. If you were to simply mount it up the traditional way as you would on a double, there would be enough room between the small ring and the back plate for the chain to jam. The ISCG versions allow you to space the guide outward to make this gap perfect and keep that from happening."

I told him i had a mojo, so im assuming the setup with the iscg adapter will work...will let you know in a couple days how it turns out

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm okay

id be mouting mine on an hd - how much difference do you think that would make?

·
meh
1,213 Posts
forgot to update, i have been running it now for bit with the iscg adapter, no issues installing and no room for the chain to drop inside like Noah mentioned with a sram x.9 26/39

·
meh
1,213 Posts
yeah, thats the difference as i understand it...the sram setup is a truly a double so the granny ring is offset away from the guard a bit more, whereas your XTR is in the same place as the triples granny the guard was designed for so the adapter isnt necessary

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
Late to the party, sorry! Good advice so far, clewttu is right.

Finishing the fit tests on the XCG 40 right now, it's an in-between size compared to our current models. The skid coverage is optimized for 39-40 outer rings.

SRAM 2x compatibility is confirmed on the XCG, still double checking on Shimano.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi there,
Im new to all this MTB lingo i need some guidance here!
I have a 2011 SRAM X9 2x10 27/39 with a BB30. (I bought a 2011 Cannondale RZ one twenty one)
So im not sure what i need here, but i do know that want i bash guard to protect my hard earn cash!

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
NoahColorado said:
Late to the party, sorry! Good advice so far, clewttu is right.

Finishing the fit tests on the XCG 40 right now, it's an in-between size compared to our current models. The skid coverage is optimized for 39-40 outer rings.

SRAM 2x compatibility is confirmed on the XCG, still double checking on Shimano.
Awesome Noah! Let us know when it is available to order. Will we still need the ISCG adapter, or will the XCG 40 be spaced out wider for the 2x10 with the standard BB mount?

I have a 26/39 X0 crankset that is looking for some coverage on my Mojo. :)

·
meh
1,213 Posts
okiemtnbkr said:
Awesome Noah! Let us know when it is available to order. Will we still need the ISCG adapter, or will the XCG 40 be spaced out wider for the 2x10 with the standard BB mount?

I have a 26/39 X0 crankset that is looking for some coverage on my Mojo. :)
Asked the same question, and its what led me to go ahead and order the current XCG rather than wait

"It will require the adapter, we will not offer it in BB mount."

things may have changed though, who knows

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
korivo said:
Hi there,
Im new to all this MTB lingo i need some guidance here!
I have a 2011 SRAM X9 2x10 27/39 with a BB30. (I bought a 2011 Cannondale RZ one twenty one)
So im not sure what i need here, but i do know that want i bash guard to protect my hard earn cash!

Thanks
Does that bike have ISCG tabs? If not, you're unfortunatly not able to fit anykind of bash protection or chain device. :sad:

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
Still sorting out the XCG40. Basically, we've found the ideal spacing for the XCG and SRAM doubles is 2.5mm from the face of the BB. Since our adapter is 2.5mm, it coupled with the ISCG version of the guide is match made in heaven. Thus, no need to engineer a BB-specific backplate. We've now created a combo (XCG Triple ISCG + adapter, $55) to fill that need at the moment.

Unfortunately, the inner ring on Shimano 2x cranks sits a hair more inboard and (on the same setup) causes interference between the skid's fasteners and the chain. We are working on a future solution for bikes requiring BB mounting that is compatible with both SRAM and Shimano.

We currently have the XCG Triple (soon to be renamed the XCG44, BTW) available, and it works well with either the 39 or 42t outer-ring option on SRAM 2x cranks. The skid just sticks out a bit further on the 39.....

XCG 40 vs. 44, ~.4" diff in profile

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you do think you will have the 40T version for sale on your web store?

If it's going to be pretty soon I'll probably just hold out for it...

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
No idea, won't know until we have a solution to the Shimano compatibility issue. Sorry!

·
Registered
1 Posts
NoahColorado said:
Still sorting out the XCG40. Basically, we've found the ideal spacing for the XCG and SRAM doubles is 2.5mm from the face of the BB. Since our adapter is 2.5mm, it coupled with the ISCG version of the guide is match made in heaven. Thus, no need to engineer a BB-specific backplate. We've now created a combo (XCG Triple ISCG + adapter, $55) to fill that need at the moment.

Unfortunately, the inner ring on Shimano 2x cranks sits a hair more inboard and (on the same setup) causes interference between the skid's fasteners and the chain. We are working on a future solution for bikes requiring BB mounting that is compatible with both SRAM and Shimano.

We currently have the XCG Triple (soon to be renamed the XCG44, BTW) available, and it works well with either the 39 or 42t outer-ring option on SRAM 2x cranks. The skid just sticks out a bit further on the 39.....
Have you treid the XCG Triple (XCG44) with the Shimano XT Cranks (Shimano FC-M77010 - these are 3x10) that come with the Mojo XT build? My Mojo HD is being built as we speak and I'd like to add a bash without giving up the outer 42 ring.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts