Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried this???

I read it was better for 4X not DH/FR....any more info

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Well... The word "slalom" suggests that that's it's intended purpose. If you want carbon, I'll be doing a limited run of handlaid carbon fiber e13 backplates. I haven't figured out the final makeup. But I think it'll be 6k carbon on the outside, with kevlar or fiberglass sandwiched inbetween. It should be fairly beefy and drop some weight off. I've already got the molds made.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Well... The word "slalom" suggests that that's it's intended purpose. If you want carbon, I'll be doing a limited run of handlaid carbon fiber e13 backplates. I haven't figured out the final makeup. But I think it'll be 6k carbon on the outside, with kevlar or fiberglass sandwiched inbetween. It should be fairly beefy and drop some weight off. I've already got the molds made.
Are you saying your designing or making those?

anyways I think Nathan or Steve pete is runing it on thier bike, and we all know they aren't doing slalom runs on them. I haven't seen one in person, but I'm pretty sure there has to be some strenght to them. How much, well maybe MRP can tell you. I'm sure they've run test on them.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
skate said:
Are you saying your designing or making those?

anyways I think Nathan or Steve pete is runing it on thier bike, and we all know they aren't doing slalom runs on them. I haven't seen one in person, but I'm pretty sure there has to be some strenght to them. How much, well maybe MRP can tell you. I'm sure they've run test on them.
I'm making the backplates. I made the molds from an existing e-13 backplate that I have sitting around. I'm changing the design just a little bit so that it'll be easier to lay out. And I'm going to do a couple cutouts where I think it's already overbuilt for the amount of stress being put on it.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skate said:
they get new ones all the time

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Maybe try the carbon guide with a fusion ring. Realistically, do you ever hit your boomerang? If you do then I wouldn't run carbon but if not go for it.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Ojai Bicyclist said:
Realistically, do you ever hit your boomerang?
I was thinking about that. I don't ever remember hitting the boomerang on my bike (think), but I know I have beat the sh!t out of the bashguard.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
if you are looking for a light guide look at the gamuts...i've been seeing lots of people running them even on 4X and DH rigs

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok that settle it....I am going to get this

MRP Slalom 3 Alloy Chain Guide

only problem is .....I think the inner is too beefy

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Dude, get a Fusion if you go MRP. Metal gets hung up.

Or if you want a better guide that's light as well, go Gamut. I love mine after coming off an LG1. It's barely heavier and it's full bash protected. The boomerang is super light and setup is a breeze. Go for the G40 'cause it's got a plastic bash thjat'll let you slide over rocks instead of catching.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Or you can run the LG-1 w/ a taco. I got one in the works for my bike!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Yeah, but IMO the setup on the LG1 is harder and if one thing is mis-aligned the thing rubs like mad.

I crashed once on mine and I think it tweaked the upper guide and it rubbed from there on out. IMO it's too complex compared to a Gamut.

That said the LG1 is sure light as hell! If that's your only consideration go for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Drill some holes in it, at least then it will be lighter until it shatters. Coming from a Blackspire to this guide and I actually thought the inner plate was not very beefy. Not sure what people are saying about never hitting the inner plate, but I hit the lower roller/arm all the time. Usually it just spins the guide a bit... No problem... But sometimes it is a problem as I have found with the last 2 Blackspires I had. Ovalized bb hole and stress cracks all over on the first, and tore the lower arm completely off the other.

If you have never broken any other guide I am sure you will be fine with the carbon. If not at least it will look cool for pictures. If you are worried get the carbon backplate and trade someone for an alloy bashguard.

Jake

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hey Bob check out the MTBR interbike coverage of White Bros/MRP booth...they've got a new bashguard for the System 3. Looks pretty much identical to E-13 lexan basher except it's kinda "smoke" see thru and it says MRP. Pretty sweet looking though. I dunno if I'd get the alloy basher cause I heard they look pretty abused after a few hits. I've got E-13's on both bikes but I'm definitely gonna give the System 3 a shot next with either the fusion or new lexan basher. Chris @ Go-Ride told me they should be available in the next few weeks.

p.s. they come with black rollers now btw

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VooDoo13 said:
p.s. they come with black rollers now btw
they have been around the last 3 years and if not it is real easy to dye them

also I want more of the solid black....Bike will be Red and Black

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
SMT I have mounted the new MRP fusion chainguide on my new M3 and it DID NOT FIT WELL! The pulleys do not align no matter how I spaced the chainring or which direction I mounted the pulleys until I spaced everything way out and then the cutout of the Fusion ring is NOT large enough for Truvativ cranks. I was very glad to ditch it and get the superior E-13 SRSW (the W is for "wide" which you need for the 9.5" travel M3). The E-13 bashguard is heavy BUT it will be MUCH better for powering over logs and protecting your chain/ring. Also be aware that your M3 has ISCG mounts and NOT ISCG '05 mounts as I was initially told.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gman086 said:
SMT I have mounted the new MRP fusion chainguide on my new M3 and it DID NOT FIT WELL! The pulleys do not align no matter how I spaced the chainring or which direction I mounted the pulleys until I spaced everything way out and then the cutout of the Fusion ring is NOT large enough for Truvativ cranks. I was very glad to ditch it and get the superior E-13 SRSW (the W is for "wide" which you need for the 9.5" travel M3). The E-13 bashguard is heavy BUT it will be MUCH better for powering over logs and protecting your chain/ring. Also be aware that your M3 has ISCG mounts and NOT ISCG '05 mounts as I was initially told.

Have FUN!

G MAN
so you are saying the MRP Slalom 3 Alloy Chain Guide won't work

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
so you are saying the MRP Slalom 3 Alloy Chain Guide won't work
The alloy version would have more clearance to mount the chainring further out (and not worry about hitting the cranks) but then you start messing with chainline issues. The E-13 fits MUCH better on the M3 - trust me! Comparing the two side by side the E-13 is just a better engineered product (not to mention costs $50 less). I had used MRP for the past 3 years but am glad I converted.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:

Hey Bob, I put one of those on my M3. I even died the orange rollers black. The only problem I had was that the chainring with the chain on it would rub up against that little plate that sits below the upper roller. I took that off and it's been running smoothly ever since. I've yet to drop a chain.

Oh, BTW, I did end up using 2 layers of hockey tape on my chainstay, and after a couple of days of multiple runs, they still appear to be primo. I'd recommend it.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts