Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MRP Ribbon SL cut appoximately 4.8oz out of the 4.2lbs of the original Ribbon.

They talk about shorter stanchions (travel limited to 130mm), ditching the Ramp Control, and less oil volume.

Does anyone know if the damper and air spring internals have been shortened as well? Like, could you take a Ribbon SL, swap on a Ribbon CSU, and party at 160mm? It sounds like you'd essentially have a Raven, correct?

·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? Guess I'll have to send an email to MRP.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Everything in the Ribbon SL is unique (air spring, damper, etc.). It has shorter stanchions as well. It maxes out at 130mm.

If you wanted a lighter Ribbon at 160, you could remove Ramp Control and use the air-spring topcap from SL and Raven. That and a bolt-on axle would save a little weight, but not too much. We're talking grams. :thumbsup:

Raven has a heavier crown that the Ribbons use. It's the same forging, but I can't remember if it's solid or just less-bored.

·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Noah,

I was just curious what all went into the making the Ribbon SL that much lighter than the Ribbon.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Thanks Noah,

I was just curious what all went into the making the Ribbon SL that much lighter than the Ribbon.
Truth is we just weighed it without oil, an axle, and a steerer tube cut unusably short. The industry standard.

Just kidding. ;)

It was a lot of little things, but it certainly helped that the Ribbon was already pretty light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.