Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding air forks since the early 2000's and I am tired of trying to find/tweak (Push etc..) the optimal ride.

I am ready to venture into a coil suspension fork, anyone have any ridding or ownership experience with Ribbon Coil, Helm Coil or both? if so are or did you stay with coil or did you return to air suspended forks?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Converted my Pike to coil last year and then went with Ribbon coil for new build last month. The only downside is a small weight penalty. It does require having correct spring and gets a bit fuzzy if you’re on the border between springs. If you’re weight changes you’ll likely notice.

·
No known cure
5,606 Posts
I'm interested in this too, but really want to know if these new forks are on par with the Marzocchi RC3 Ti open bath coil forks from around eight years ago. I'm looking at these two or a Fox/Zoke/Yari chassis with Avy/Smashpot. I've read Ohlins makes a coil but don't see it on their site.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response attaboy, I'm curious about which spring you selected, can you share The spring weight and your approximate weight with or without gear?

Based on the overall comments and number of threads relating to the Ribbon coil it seems that Helm has not sold nearly as many units?

Converted my Pike to coil last year and then went with Ribbon coil for new build last month. The only downside is a small weight penalty. It does require having correct spring and gets a bit fuzzy if you're on the border between springs. If you're weight changes you'll likely notice.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I got a MRP Ribbon Coil last year. Great fork. I've been on air for a long time before that. I did have MZ Bombers back in the day, but that was the far distance past.

MRP Coil is really nice. I have no plans to go back to an air fork on that bike. I do have a couple other air forks on other bikes and I prefer the MRP, but since the air forks are paid for I'll keep riding them.

I haven't tried the CC Helm so I can't compare that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been happily riding a coil converted 150mm MRP ribbon. No plans to ever go back to air. I'm 150 lbs in between x-soft and soft on the spring chart. I went with soft (stiffer) 0 preload, rely less on LSC and 0 ramp control. Feels amazing.

If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with helm. I would like to play around with separate LSC and HSC on my fork as I like those tuning options on my IL coil. Really I think you're just splitting hairs at this point and probably couldn't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for your response attaboy, I'm curious about which spring you selected, can you share The spring weight and your approximate weight with or without gear?

Based on the overall comments and number of threads relating to the Ribbon coil it seems that Helm has not sold nearly as many units?
Rider weight is 185. I dunno ready to ride weight -- need to measure that. I have 160mm fork and I'm on medium spring -- the one that comes preinstalled. I tried the softer spring for a bit -- thrown off initially by lack of sag -- but it mide the ride harsher as fork was too much into the midtravel. Got a tip about that being cause and went back to medium spring and now it performs better than prior converted ACS3 fork. The small bump compliance, combined with the mid-travel support and responsiveness is superior to air imho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.