Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread "MRP Ribbon" can be a bit confusing since it's muddled up with discussion of air and coil and everybody has to preface their question with which fork they have.

Figured we could continue the discussion of the Coil forks here....

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start; 185 walking around, 195ish kitted up. I just swapped from the medium coil to the firm and it's much better. Much more precise, much less braking dive and I still use the same amount of travel.

If anybody weighing 180+ is having issues with vagueness, dive or what feels like harshness, I'd recommend at least trying a firm spring.....takes 30 min to swap out!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Coil rates are as follows

Xtra soft - 31lbs
Soft - 39lbs
Medium - 47lbs
Firm - 55lbs
Xtra firm - 60lbs

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Noah's in....yes!

Any chance you could speak to why you think MRP and the VorSprung coil recommendations are a bit different?
I just saw the Vorsprung chart today for the first time. I haven't looked that closely at it, but are they really that disparate?

They're both just suggestions, no? It all ultimately comes down to preference. I know you're happy with a slightly higher spring rate than what's indicated on our chart, but there are others who've gone the other way and are sure they're right.

I dunno how theirs was made, but ours came directly from our product testers -- measuring their sag and getting their impressions, and then plotting out a logical chart from there. :thumbsup:

Not everyone rides the same trails, uses the same position, rides identical bikes, etc. There's enough variation that it's impossible to say exactly what spring rate someone should be riding.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I raced an Enduro up in Idaho (EWS Qualifier) last weekend with my Ribbon, the fork was super harsh on the high speed chatter, roots and square edged rocks. Anybody have a similar experience? Still felt controlled and not wollowy, but very harsh. The large slower hits were well controlled.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
I raced an Enduro up in Idaho (EWS Qualifier) last weekend with my Ribbon, the fork was super harsh on the high speed chatter, roots and square edged rocks. Anybody have a similar experience? Still felt controlled and not wollowy, but very harsh. The large slower hits were well controlled.
Try reducing your rebound damping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Noah, quick question on tuning the Ribbon 29 coil. I have it set up at 150 mm and I'm 180 lbs, riding in North Vancouver. I had the medium coil on it at first. Amazing small bump and felt great all around. Just bottomed out a little too easily. I had the Ramp control maxed. I didn't play with the pre-load before swapping to the firm coil. Would adding pre-load help with the bottom out? Or just the initial position?

Mike

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Would adding pre-load help with the bottom out? Or just the initial position?
Adding preload does change the force required to achieve any given amount of travel, but not the rate. So yes, it would increase the force required for bottom-out, but not by a lot. It's best used to fine tune ride height (sag) and initial feel.

I'm nearly your weight and could see being in a similar situation. If the firm spring feels like too much at 150mm, you could try it at 145mm. Or, conversely, go back to the medium and take the fork out to 155 or 160mm.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've been having similar issues since loosing weight. I'm now about 178 and have tried up to about only 8 clicks from full open (no rebound), use no ramp, no preload. no LSC< and I'm not getting full travel when probably should. Big hits- it is stable and responsive, but higher speed it's harsh. I have medium in and I"m thinking soft makes sense with some preload if needed and can actually utilize rebound and ramp control features. I'm going to switch and see. I switched once previously but I was about 185 then. It actually felt better with medium so went back. Now harsh again.

have 160mm on Ripmo

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm riding a ribbon air 150 on my Devinci Troy 29", looking to convert the ribbon to coil. Two questions: Would the coil ribbon play well with an air shock out back (currently rs super deluxe)? Also would the coil conversion change my axle to crown length at all if I stick with 150 travel?

·
Registered
518 Posts
After a couple of rides since changing to soft spring - definitely did the trick. Much more responsive on small bumps and still great mid level and big hit response. Getting much better travel. Harshness gone. Using about half the rebound and some preload.

Makes sense, but it’s more challenging to get it right when you’re on the border of two springs.

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
Thought I would weigh in on the spring rate conversation. Until recently, I was running the medium spring. The fork felt good, but not great. The 140mm DVO air fork on my 29er felt better, especially on fast, rowdy trails. Obviously not ideal when the trail bike goes downhill better than the enduro bike...

The specific shortcomings I experience on the Ribbon coil with medium spring:
-excessive brake dive
-not using full travel (max of 130mm even when deliberately trying to load the fork on 4'+ drops, rocks, dips, etc)
-felt dead when I wanted to get the front end up
-harsh at high speeds

I tried a bunch of different damper settings, but nothing got the fork quite to where I wanted it. I was on the fence about whether to try the soft spring to see if I could use more travel or try the firm spring to dial out the brake dive and dead feeling.

I went with firm, and I am very, very happy with the results. No more brake dive. No more harshness at speed. No more dead feeling on jumps and trail features. The fork stays higher in its travel, but since I feel more confidence and ride faster, I end up using more travel! 145mm on normal trail rides, about 155mm on faster trails with drops, and 160mm when I purposely land nose heavy. Better fork = faster pace = more travel used.

My current settings
Fork: 27.5 coil at 165mm
Weight: 190lb in gear
Spring: firm
LSC: 2 cicks from closed
Ramp: 20 clicks from closed
Rebound: 10 clicks from closed

·
Registered
805 Posts
Does anyone know if a 29er will fit in the 27.5 at all? I don't need much clearance it will be used in a dry xc race.

Edit: nope no way went to lbs won't fit. Maybe a semi slick might.

Ok so more crazy ideas. Will a dvo diamond 29 lower work? Has same stanchion diameter at 35mm and has same axle to crown @572mm at 160mm travel.
Both are cartridge based with no high pressure sealing in the lowers.
Ok won't work different stanchion spacing. Nice guy here in the forums JonnyC7 checked for me.

That's fine because Mrp quote $170 for lowers with new seals and bushes.

So I'm hooked up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Paging Noah, this one's for you.

Yes it's a f**k up, but it's not what you think. For the record, I've changed springs in these forks multiple times so I know the correct procedure, and I was *not* trying to do that incorrectly in this case.

Basically I've been finding that I need to pop the adjusters out of the lower legs periodically to burp air out of the lowers (i.e. I don't get the same result using the buttons on the back of the legs).

In this case I had unscrewed the spring side top cap part way to take some preload off the spring, so I could tap the ramp adjuster in and pop the o-ring seal to release built up air pressure.

Anyway, having done this I then compressed the fork to snug everything back up so I could screw the adjuster back in, and turns out the top cap was unscrewed more than part way, as it popped out and the spring fired out of the top of the leg to where you see it. Had these forks 18 months and needless to say never had this happen before.

Now it's 100% completely and utterly jammed in that position, which is somewhat inconvenient.

Ideas please? Preferably not ones involving new CSU and spring...

Metal Bicycle part Iron Bicycle accessory Pipe

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 282 Posts